Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Gareth asked in HealthOther - Health · 3 months ago

Ear Wax removal.......?

I have hardened ear wax once every year and it's now hardend tot he extent that its causing a bit of blockage. 

Is it safe to put pure undiluted hydrogen peroxide into he ear? I hav ehear horror stories about people putting hydrogen peroxide in their ears but I have also seen many people online recommending it so I am left unsure which is why I've come on here to ask if this is safe to do? 

I think H2O2 will probably do it all right.  It's a little harsh for some people.  But they actually sell earwax removers such as Debrox which are made for this, and gentler.  It feels fizzy like H2O2.  There are also ear candles which you can get, and they melt and pull the wax out.  It rather feels great.  

Even a few drops of mineral oil in each ear will tend to soften it so that it can run out.

I would suggest, since your ears are like this, you might use Debrox or ear candles on your ears twice a year to prevent their ever getting uncomfortable.  Ear candles are fun.

Great Information and best for home apply.

take no chances, see a doctor.

If it's that severe, you should see a doctor. Home remedies and OTC ear drops are hit-or-miss and often cause bigger problems than the original malady. And stop using Q-tips... that's the absolute worst thing you can do.

• Goerge

You "have hardened ear wax once every year ". It would seem that that person would be the one to ask. IMO allowing ear wax to build up to that point is "unsafe to do".

That is seriously grotesque, I mean who can't clean their own ears? Hey Mom, come clean my ears!!!! Your 50 years old, clean them your own dmnd self. 

No, use olive oil or specialised ear drops available from pharmacies. It may take a few days to soften completely. 

That's unsafe, it will damage you and possibly make you permanently deaf. Use olive oil every day, keep it in with cotton wool, wash it out in a shower and give it time.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ear...

I would not use Hydrogen Peroxide.  There is an over-the-counter earwax removal product sold at most drug stores called "carbamide peroxided 6.5%."   It has worked for me.

Go see an ear specialist, they can remove wax from your ear without causing any harm.