Toaster oven vs. regular toaster?

I would just like to ask if you prefer cooking foods in a toaster oven or a regular toaster if you have both. I also would like to know which foods and why. Lastly, are there foods that I can cook in a toaster oven that I probably shouldn't cook in a regular toaster? (Like for safety reasons or preference of taste).

You can cook almost anything in a toaster oven - as long as it fits inside the oven.  (you can cook a small chicken in a toaster oven - you certainly can't cook a chicken in a toaster.)  

Basically  - a toaster only makes toast or heats up bagels, frozen waffles, and poptarts.

A toaster OVEN is almost like your actual oven - but just smaller.  You can cook anything that fits.  We have done pizza, chicken nuggets, brownies, chicken fingers, and all kinds of other quick snacks in the toaster oven.  Oddly - we rarely use it for "toast" because a toaster makes just toast a little faster than  a toaster oven does.  If you can cook it in your oven - you can cook it in a toaster oven if it fits in the toaster oven.

If you just want good toast - get a toaster.  If you want a smaller device so you don't have to turn on your actual oven for small snacks - then get a toaster oven.

• ?

I love toast from a toaster, and other things

I don't have a toaster and make my toast in a toaster oven.  This is about counter space, all you can do with a toaster is toast, a toaster oven is great for toast plus also heating small meals that you don't want to micro, making cheese and tuna melts, etc.  I have better things to use the counter space than a toaster.

• ?

I like my 4 slice toaster oven which is large enough for a loaf pan, small casserole or brownie pan. I don't see any need to also have a toaster, to have a full size range. My toaster over is enough to handle all my baking-toasting-roasting-broiling needs.  

I can make melty cheese stuff in the toaster over, but couldn't do that with a toaster.

When I was given a Toaster Oven last year I thought I would get rid of my toaster.  One less appliance but...

I tried it for a while and have decided that a toaster oven does not do toast that well. 

I use the toaster oven for baking small things, even use my small Dutch oven in it and did all day baked beans. 

So my toaster is for toasting bread.  Anything else I would do in my oven I can do in the toaster oven. 

I even prefer reheating in the toaster oven rather than using the microwave. (don't use that for much more than reheating tea or mocha but I do use the timer.)

It is probably better to heat pizza in a toaster oven.  Interestingly, toasters are pretty good for heating tortillas.

I've never owned a toaster. When needed, I would toast in a frying pan. I just bought a convection-toaster oven and am loving it! I make roasts, chickens, bake bread, roast tomatoes with garlic and olive oil, and can go on and on. Can't use Pyrex or glass in it though, only metal.

Regular toaster is preferred.

I've always found a toaster oven to take long and not toast evenly.

• Anton

Using the correct tool makes a job easier.

Regular toaster only did one side of the bread.

Newfangled toasters did both sides and popped out when done.

Nowadays I have a pop-up toaster for plain toast regular bread. Also Pop-tarts and Bagels.  Have a newfangled toaster-oven, use for doing garlic toast on french bread.  Also melting cheese on a sandwich.  And use it for Roast Beef because it has a rotating spit.

A toaster makes toast. That's all it does. The only food you can cook in it is bread or things like bread (bagels, crumpets, quick breads) that are thin enough to fit into the slots and won't drip anything as they get toasted. You aren't cooking in a toaster. You're just heating things up a little. A toaster oven does almost all the same things a regular oven does, except it's smaller. It also makes toast. There is really no comparison between the two. If you only want to make toast, get a toaster. If you want to bake, broil, and toast things, get a toaster oven. Most people get both, if they have enough counter space. A toaster oven uses a lot more electricity to make toast than a toaster does.