Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How do you keep a house from smelling like dogs?

I have a Border Collie and German Shepherd--both are house broken and "accidents" are seldom (maybe once every other month if that, and I use a home carpet steam cleaner in the event that it does)

However, when my landlord came to do some work on the place, she commented, "I know I said you allowed to have pets, but this house smells terrible...either they are going to have to go, or I'm going to have to ask you to leave at the end of the lease."

I'm looking for another place that accepts dogs, but for future references....how do you keep a house from smelling like dogs even if they are not having accidents? Maybe I was naive, but I thought pet owners whose homes smelled was from them not properly cleaning up after their pets.

• F

Dogs make your house smell. End of.

• PR

Be sure your next place has hard floors and not carpeting, in case they are having accidents you are not aware of - then keep a close eye. Get them groomed/bathed each two to three weeks, or do this yourself.

Be sure if you work outside the house, that you have someone come to let them out each 3 to 4 hours. Do not leave the dogs outside for extended periods of time. I found that when our dogs were out for more than a few minutes, they seemed to absorb funny odors and did not smell very fresh, anymore. You can use doggie cologne, but it will not cover up doggie stink, if they are not bathed often enough, nor if they are left outdoors too long, nor if they are sleeping on pee stains.

before she comes put some fragrant carpet cleaner on your carpet them vacuum. Try and keep some windows open a bit to keep air circulating

People who have dogs get used to the smell of dogs, and just don't notice it.  People who DON'T have dogs absolutely DO smell it and often object to it.

It's pretty much the same with anyone who does or doesn't spend much (or any) time around any animal.  Horses, cows, rabbits, goats, chickens ... they ALL have a smell, not all the same, but they do.

The difference with dogs (and cats, arguably) is that they are kept indoors as pets.  And it's not just pee and poo smell.  Which might be more of a litter-box issue with cats than it would be with a clean dog indoors.  The animal itself smells like ...an animal.  Ferrets, gerbils, hamsters, guinea pigs, rats and mice, pretty much any mammal kept indoors, and birds, too, is going to *stink* to someone not used to living with that odor.  Even a home with a fish tank is going to have a smell to someone not used to that.

So the short answer is, you can't.  Not entirely.  Keeping your dogs as healthy and clean as possible is about all you can do.  Brush when you can and bathe when you have to.  Please don't neglect your dogs' DENTAL health, because dental disease can be a really major source of nasty odor (and a gateway to a lot of health issues, including heart disease) and pay attention to the ears and paws, which can also get pretty stinky.

Otherwise, the soft surfaces in your home (your furniture and bedding, carpet or rugs, drapes or curtains) -- and even your clothing -- are likely holding that doggy-smell.  And even though you're used to it, others are not and can smell it as soon as you open your door.  Keep your home as clean as you can and wash/deodorize the fabrics and furniture.  Keep your FLOORS clean.  Keep your clothes clean, too.  Air out your place as much as you can.

A healthy dog smells like a dog, but its odor is inoffensive to those who love dogs.  Nothing you can do to your home or your dog will change the fact that a dog smells like a dog.  You COULD burn a vanilla candle or some exotic incense to cover the smell, but it wouldn't fool anyone.  Or you could wash your dog incessantly and destroy his coat.  But he'd still smell like a dog, and now one with dry skin and lesions and probably that nasty infection-smell if you overdo it.

I have two big dogs.  I had my house built 5 years ago and neither one has EVER used the house as a bathroom.  I don't think my house smells.

My neighbor always complains that "she smells the dogs."

I don't know what the answer is - other, than in my case, she's not invited into my home.

• Maxi

Smells of any kind will linger on carpets, curtains and furnishings and from dogs it is from hair and dander ( unless dogs are not house broken then it is also from poo/pee) so dogs need to be groomed reguarly and bathed if/when smelly, and dried correctly if they get wet,  as wet dogs smell and taint anything they lie on/near. Airing rooms via open doors/windows helps but 'covering' smells up doesn't work, so forget smelly oils, sprays or candles, 50/50 white vinegar /water nuetralises smells and cleans too

She should be glad you don't have a ferret.  Now they stink.  Dog people do not smell dog when they come into your home.  Only those you are not around dogs all the time smell dog.  It is not a strong odor but those who aren't around dogs smell it.  You could burn incense, essential oils, burn cinnamon sticks, spray odor killers, febreze......

I would contact renters rights & see if that is a legit reason to kick someone out.  I don't think it is right.  You paid the pet deposit right?  That is to clean up after you leave.  I don't think this is a legit reason to kick you out.  Find out what your rights are.

Landlord & tenant disputes.  Know your rights.

Unfortunately when anybody is not used to having dogs around, they think they smell them.   But for me, within reason, it's NO worse than going into a home where people smoke.

I make sure I air my place out regularly (windows and door open when the weather allows) and when an inspection is due, make sure I use my rug cleaner.   Mine are housetrained and I can honestly say so far have not had an accident in here - I do acknowledge that my Basset could get 'niffy' but I didn't have to keep bathing him.   Just a good daily brush kept him sweet.  My Whippet has no aroma at all bless her.  I've never had a comment from my agent re smell.

I'm sorry for youi if you have been told you will be losing your home because of them.   If this does happen, make sure she gives you the required notice.   I wish you well in finding alternative accommodation because more and more, landlords are saying no to pet owners.

Again people who don't live around animals, will always smell them.   People with horses smell of horses.  People with cattle, smell of cattle.  Without their animals living indoors!!

ps   Make sure this 'smell' isn't coming from a need to have some dental work done.

Later -   would you two contributors who have awarded me 2 TDs please let me know why because I'm always willing to learn.   I don't think I've written anything above, to call for neg.input?   Anyone?

• Amber

Obviously dog maintenance - so make sure they are bathed because dog's do actually sweat especially through their paws and that their private area is clean as that can often give off the dog smell - bad breath and smelly ears can cause a nasty odor. So start brushing teeth and cleaning out the ears if they need it. Some dogs have clean ears they just smell so you can buy an ear freshener spray just to get over that.

Aside from that I vaccum a lot and wash carpets when they start to smell, including sofas. I find many people very rarely, if ever, wash their dog's bedding and it often smells really bad - so make sure bedding is cleaned.

Open windows before your landlord comes. Even washing things like curtains and nets from the window can help. Clean hard floors with a nice smelling cleaner that is dog friendly. You can get all sorts of scents for around the home to make it smell more appealing. 

But it sounds to me like it's more the dogs than your lack of cleaning. I have an elderly dog who never smells and dog's shouldn't smell bad even in old age if they are correctly taken care of.

• Mark

Vacuum a lot.  Wash your dogs fairly often (once a month or so).