Christy asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Dog still can reach neuter site with cone on? ?

My silly dog can reach the neuter surgery site with his cone on. Can I spray bitter apple spray on the surgery site to deter him from licking? Or is there something else I can do? Can’t watch him constantly as I have to sleep and live life still. Haha. Thanks for answers.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Your cone is not long enough or not properly fitted, ask your Vet. The bitter apple can cause irritation or infection, forget using it.

• 1 month ago

Inflatable collar. They can still sleep in one like a pillow.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Need a larger cone

• 1 month ago

You don't have the right sized collar.  Go ask your Vet for one that fits your dog.  or you can fold a bath towel in half, length wise & start wrapping around your dogs neck, so he can't reach his rear end.  You can use safety pins to hold it on.  Wrap it pretty tight cause it will loosen itself & you can wrap tighter, just make SURE the dog can breath.  If you can slip two fingers between the towel & dogs neck you got it tight enough.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Haha, mine could.  Next time you have an open wound, spray bitter apple into it and see how it feels.

Haha, ask the Vet for a bigger cone.

• 1 month ago

then return to the vet and ask for a larger cone problem solved

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You need to get a larger cone, you do not spray anything on the wound

• PR
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Go back to the store ad get a larger diameter cone. With the proper sized cone, the dog should not be able to reach behind his ears.

• 1 month ago

You may find one of the inflatable collars prevents him getting at the incision?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

ring the vet, u may have to go and get a bigger cone

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.