A friend told me she'd been contacted to receive a grant for $200,000, but she had to pay the taxes on it before she could receive it.True?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Is the Nigerian Prince going to deliver it in person too ?

Honestly, if your friend cant figure out that this is a scam, I doubt she has the 10 grand laying around to pay the "tax" with anyway.

• John P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Sounds like a scam to me. You must never pay out money in order to get money. That is one of the oldest sorts of scams, invented before the word 'scam' was invented.

• 2 months ago

It is not true that she would have to pay taxes on a $200,000 dollar grant, it is a scam.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

what are the taxes on the grant? grants are not income. A grant is a gift that applies to a certain purpose and it can only be used for that purpose.

the gifter gets a tax deduction by donating into the grant. grants can be jointly owned.

there are other ramifications in grants so you need to be more informative.

who what is offering her a grant and whats it for?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Kieth
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You don't pay taxes to the person giving you the money, you pay it to the government. Your friend is being scammed.

• Susie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

So it wasn’t something she’d applied for?   If not, then it’s a scam.  If she did, she should contact the institution that awarded it, for details.  I don’t know the tax ramifications of grants.  I would guess if taxes are due they would be withheld from the monies received.  

• 2 months ago

Very old scam  

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Sounds like a scam to me.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.