A friend told me she'd been contacted to receive a grant for $200,000, but she had to pay the taxes on it before she could receive it.True?

Is the Nigerian Prince going to deliver it in person too ?

Honestly, if your friend cant figure out that this is a scam, I doubt she has the 10 grand laying around to pay the "tax" with anyway.

• John P

Sounds like a scam to me. You must never pay out money in order to get money. That is one of the oldest sorts of scams, invented before the word 'scam' was invented.

It is not true that she would have to pay taxes on a $200,000 dollar grant, it is a scam.

what are the taxes on the grant? grants are not income. A grant is a gift that applies to a certain purpose and it can only be used for that purpose.

the gifter gets a tax deduction by donating into the grant. grants can be jointly owned.

there are other ramifications in grants so you need to be more informative.

who what is offering her a grant and whats it for?

• Kieth

You don't pay taxes to the person giving you the money, you pay it to the government. Your friend is being scammed.

• Susie

So it wasn’t something she’d applied for?   If not, then it’s a scam.  If she did, she should contact the institution that awarded it, for details.  I don’t know the tax ramifications of grants.  I would guess if taxes are due they would be withheld from the monies received.  

Very old scam  

Sounds like a scam to me.