Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 7 months ago

How long will my drumbrakes last?

I have a small clicking sound coming from the rear of my car when Im braking slowly. I went to the mechanic, he checked the drum brakes said that they were fine, were worn out but will last for 4000ish kms more. He changed the brake fluid and serviced the car etc.

The noise is still coming when im braking so should I be worried? I have attached a photo of my drum brakes below.

• Erik

They look pretty bad to me.  I'm surprised your mechanic told you that.  Just replace them soon.

That shoe on the right is worn very strangely!  I'd be changing those right away, and likely install new drums. 

Have you been driving with the parking brakes on??

Cant tell from the pix; what do the pads and drums Mic to?

There is a lot movin' round a drum brake; a loose spring or clip or spreader can make noise. Even excess dust, or something loose or worn in suspension or the brake backing plate. Grab things and shake them to see.  try Both sides, noises can often  deceive you.

I've never had simply worn shoes  make a "click". Eccentrically worn shoes and drums   often make an odd noise on braking and less effective braking, more a screech if any noise at all..

Edit: A lot of R  drums and   shoes "look thin "when brand new. F shoes look fatter when new.

The shoes are worn.  Get them replaced.  Get the drum resurfaced too or get a new drum.

• Barry

Rear drum brakes wear very slowly as the front brakes do 90% of the work. Spin the rear wheels to see if the noise appears. Brakes don't normally click. The pads squeal sometimes.

• ?

From what I can see they're worn but still have some life. If it bugs you, just replace them now, then you'll know.