Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 2 months ago

Is an MD better than a DO?

Is a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine just a “consolation prize” for those who didn’t make the grade and gain admission to medical school?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Jim
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They are very much full doctors.

My life has been saved twice by doctors - both DO's.

• 1 month ago

No, and in general you won't know your doctor is a DO or MD unless you search this out or ask them. Nearly the same curriculum, licensing examinations, and board certifications. Typically DO's go to more community oriented programs and MD training is often found at larger academic centers but even this is a gross generality. I do mention it because I was less interested in research and chose to be a community minded doctor.

Source(s): Proud DO
  • 2 months ago

At this point, no.  They both essentially get the same education, pass the same medical board licensing exams and compete and do the exact same residencies. There is really no difference in admit requirements, and in no way shape or form is it a consolation prize. DO schools do have a slight focus on the alternative forms such as manipulation (much like physical therapy).

Source(s): ER PA
  • 2 months ago

The schooling is nearly identical thus the only difference would be on an individual level. Yes gaining entry into regular medical school might seem to appear more difficult compared to DO schools but most of that is based on using GPA as a predictor of success. When you see any professional post training nobody uses GPA as a substitute criteria for competence but uses experience and their record. 

There are many DO's who are chief of staffs and heads of departments that oversee MD's. 

You have to take each as an individual and generalizations aren't really accurate especially they have a track record of experience to rely on rather than GPA. Keep in mind that the original surgeons weren't even medical doctors but butchers that were good with their hands and knives. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine is not even a consolation prize. It's an alternative thing.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.