Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 2 months ago

What do you think of artists?

I'm a good artist and people enjoy viewing my sketches and digital pieces, but how are artists perceived by people who don't draw? What do think when you see a good drawing?

(Lazy or unserious answers will not be awarded)

Where in my writing claims that people who don't draw are incapable of appreciating art? In fact, that contradicts the first sentence when I said "people enjoy viewing my sketches and digital pieces".

The point of my "Lazy or unserious answers will not be awarded" is so that I am not just getting 1-3 word answers or mindless sentences because it's unhelpful. Thought that was obvious, but only some people get that. These answers reminded me why I never go on here.

Apart from the tourists who drift through seeking points, the people who normally hang around Drawing & Illustration are either artists or people who want to be artists. And they are unlikely to be able to offer guidance on how they are perceived. How are you perceived? See it isn't easy.

• Evi

As an artist myself I can and do appreciate the art of others. As for people who don't draw, yes they can still appreciate the art done by another. For example, I don't play **insert musical instrument** but I can appreciate someone else's ability to play said instrument. 

What I think of artists: They're a really diverse community who love to support each other and have fun! Artists aren't just stranded by drawings or paintings. They are authors, comic book artists, singers and musicians, clothing designers, and many more! 

Artists perceived by people who don't draw: can be lazy, don't need money from drawings because *exposure* pays for everything, and art cannot be a job because that's ridiculous.

What do I think when I see a good drawing: *am shook* that's fricken amazing wow!

Sorry if my answer doesn't make sense, haha.

@ Lili "I can't imagine why you think people have to be able to draw in order to appreciate art and artists."

You may be a "historian who examines art a great deal", but your reading comprehension sucks. The OP never said or even implied that. He/she asked how non-artists view artists and art. That's it.

Oh, they're great. What they lack in IQ, personal hygiene, personality and dress-sense is certainly made up for in their ability to draw stuff. They can be fun to be with, too, as long as you don't loan them money and don't hit them too hard. Hope this helped and wasn't lazy or unserious, y' daft anon freak. Hugs.

• Marli

Answers still get 2 points, no matter what they are like.  You can award ten points to only one answer.

My opinion, as a person who can't draw a straight line, is that I am impressed by what I understand and like to look at. People who look like people. Plants that look like plants. Animals that look like animals.  Hans Holbein's portraits. Anatomical drawings. Leonardo's 'Last Supper' and his caricatures. Michaelangelo's painting of God about to touch the hand of Man.  William Morris designs. Pennsylvania Dutch fractur.  The Group of Seven and Emily Carr. Beatrix Potter's Peter Rabbit characters. Dr. Seuss's creatures.

UPDATE 

If I am interested in the artist, it is because I appreciate the artist's works.  I don't care if Michelangelo or Holbein was gruff or genial. It's his "David" or his "Erasmus" that concern me. If Michaelangelo was homoerotic or a student of anatomy is mildly interesting trivia to me. He drew and carved some great looking men.

I am at Level 7. I am not a "tourist seeking points". I seek and supply information. Points don't interest me.

• Lili

I can't imagine why you think people have to be able to draw in order to appreciate art and artists.  Art historians study artists without necessarily being artists themselves and write important, highly scholarly and perceptive books on art.  And people visit art museums in huge numbers.  Art critics write intelligent and appreciative reviews of exhibitions.

Drawing exhibitions are not uncommon at museums. I've enjoyed many.  In fact, I'm a historian who examines art a great deal in order to learn much about the culture of the eras in which I am a specialist. Drawings are among my favorite forms of art, because they tend to provide more spontaneous and fresh pictures of daily life and culture than finished paintings do.

I have many friends who are professional artists.  I own drawings they've done and given me.  Hanging on my living room wall is one that a close artist friend did of my husband.  Among the several works of art that we own, it is probably my favorite.

Edit:  USartboy, dear, the question most definitely implies that people who cannot draw would have trouble appreciating art.  It's not a matter of "reading comprehension" but rather of implication. Sophisticated readers and writers grasp that. You, clearly, do not.  Poor writers tend to be careless.