dave asked in PetsBirds · 2 months ago

Do you feed the birds?

Not anymore.I used to feed them but the gulls became so greedy I stopped.They got fatter and fatter and didn't need me to feed them......they also became pests.

No, because they attract the mice!

Nope! they are not designed to eat the same as us or to have food brought on a plate. Half the fun is looking for the odd titbit. If their stomach is filled by us, there is little else for them to do for the rest of their day. They can then become dependent on us. There are gulls where I live that never go to sea now as folk parked overlooking the sea will throw them fish and chips. The same recognisable gulls hang out at certain parking spaces that they have claimed and beg for food from morning to night. Only lately have signs been put up DO NOT FEED THE SEAGULLS. So they are having to fish now. It was done because they were stealing icecreams from children's hands and also knocking their meals out of their hands. Not good.

• jean

this bloke up the street puts seed out for the lorikeets and bread for the pigeons. He also has a tray with water in it. Lovely

Kind of, yes. I have chickens and ducks. I'll toss some scratch grain out into the yard a couple times a week as a treat. I know the wild birds like it too. 

Well in an indirect way I do. I have 2 large outdoor aviaries and my birds will kick out some of the seed and the Morning Doves, Sparrows an Scrub Jays love it.

Sometimes. Anyone who knows me well will tell you that I am for the birds.

I am a wildlife carer and know how unhealthy for wild birds it is to be given the wrong diet from unsanitary bird feeders.

However I do grow plants that supplement feed for some species (nectar, fruit or seeds) and atract insects to feed others.

Occasionally I will scatter excess food not needed by birds in care if I notice birds needing the same diet foraging in the garden.

NEVER bread.

NEVER in feeding trays that can cause cross contamination.

NEVER in quantities that cause birds to rely on being fed.

Matthew 6

26Look at the birds of the air: They do not sow or reap or gather into barns—and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?f

28And why do you worry about clothes? Consider how the lilies of the field grow: They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his glory was adorned like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?

31Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32For the Gentiles strive after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first the kingdom of Godg and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you.

34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Today has enough trouble of its own

Yeah, I am on the east coast and once in a while I will throw out stale bread for the seagulls.