Haz asked in HealthWomen's Health · 3 weeks ago

Is my doctor allowed to refuse me my birth control because I don’t want a Pap smear?

She’s not willing to tell me when to get my shot again because I don’t want a Pap smear done. I’m not even sexually active right now 

Sure they can refuse but you can also choose another doctor. You don't need a PAP to get B/C

• Edna

Yes -- 98% of the time, your doctor is allowed to refuse to prescribe any type of hormonal birth control (and the shot is hormonal birth control) if you don't have a Pap Smear done. 

A Pap Smear  is no big deal. It's done to check the cervix for signs of cervical cancer, and it takes only about 5 minutes to complete. You can develop cervical cancer even if you're not sexually active. A virgin can develop cervical cancer. 

Pap smear is done usually to find early problems relating to major disease such a cancers, not so much sexual problems. Don't fear them.

• MissA

Sure she can.  It's not best practices... most doctors are advised against requiring pap smears as a precondition to prescribing birth control.  But she's not a drug dispensing robot.  She can refuse to prescribe for any number of reasons. 

With that said you are totally allowed to fire her and go to someone else.

• Lili

Yes, she can refuse to write you a prescription or arrange for you to get a birth control shot.

Many doctors require a regular pelvic exam and tests, especially for patients for whom they are asked to prescribe birth control.  Except in emergencies, doctors do not have to treat or prescribe for any patient who asks them to do so. They don't have to keep patients in their practices either. They can ask them to find another doctor.

Hormonal birth control can cause problems for people suffering from certain conditions. And whether or not you're sexually active is irrelevant. Even virgins can develop reproductive cancers and other conditions.

• kelvin

you don't need a pap smear to get birth control and that is dumb and retarded

Any doctor has the right to refuse treating a patient who will not follow their advice, unless the situation is lifethreatening.

Of course, docs have autonomy, there is little that is mandated by law that they have to do.

• Andy C

That's obviously her decision and right 

That's crazy, but, she sets the rules for her office.  Most doctors require at least a pelvic exam before prescribing birth control.  A pap smear has nothing to do with you being sexually active.  Women can get cancer at any age regardless of your level of sexual activity.  It might be rarer for a young person to get cervical or ovarian cancer, but, it cannot hurt to get tested.  I don't understand your resistance...you need your bc, the swab literally takes two seconds to do.