Resident Rump asked in PetsBirds · 4 weeks ago

What could cause Canada Geese to stop frequenting a place they used to visit everyday ?

They used to come by all the time to my apartment complex, but all of a sudden they stopped coming and I instead see them at a park that's a couple of miles away. 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

maybe lack of food in your area

• 4 weeks ago

you are certain that the geese seen at the park are the same ones frequenting your apt complex in the past?  canada geese look remarkably alike and to find distinctive characteristics within a group is difficult... evenings most geese leave daytime feeding grounds and head for water, lakes, rivers, reservoirs etc places of safety where they can more easily evade foxes, coyotes and other predators.....

in the past c. geese natural food,  grass might not have been abundant in parklands, golf courses, etc due to winter but now that spring is here grasslands are thriving and so are the geese... people might have encouraged the geese to stay by feeding them, but now geese have choices.  plus property caretakers might have been using methods to chase them away,  a dog let loose removes them quickly....also, for geese nesting,  an apt complex is not a choice area, geese need water nearby and young geese cannot yet fly.

• 4 weeks ago

Do not feed Canada Geese !  Leave them alone to migrate naturally .

In parts of the Northeast, they've overpopulated and now croWd out other birds, upsetting the natural balance.

• 4 weeks ago

The management of the complex might have gotten tired of cleaning up goose poop and done something intelligent to drive the geese off. The most effective means seems to be "screamer shells" fired from a specialized handgun. I suggested them to the manager of a golf course and he later told me that the entire flock had moved to a competing golf course. There was a big smile on his face.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

before the pandemic how many people at the park. now they have the space to wander where they should.

• y
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

They follow the food. They also separate from the flock for their kids and once big enough, rejoin.

• 4 weeks ago

Maybe they just got bored of the same scenery & wanted something different.

Source(s): Different strokes for different folks
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.