Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsDrawing & Illustration · 1 month ago

Do I have to know how to draw to be a art teacher? Drawing/panting is not my strong suit but I understand it, Im just better at other things?

Im not opposed to drawing or panting but I don’t specialize in it 

• Orla

What are you better at ?

Well, you need to know what you're talking about and how to help your students.

I had an art teacher in school who wasn't good at drawing, but who was good at teaching, she taught me much more than another art teacher I had later (also in school), who was an artist herself with a fancy art degree.

I will say, though, as an art teacher myself, I probably would have found it more difficult to teach if I couldn't draw. Showing combined with telling always works better in my opinion. So I'll teach my students the technique behind drawing a realistic looking nose, and then I'll quickly do one to show them how it's done, which always helps to clarify and de-mystify the process.

Yes, you do not have to be the best, but you do need to know how to do it.

No idea. You certainly can't write for sh1t, Mr. "Panting".

Those that can do, those who can't teach! Those who can not do either become critic's.

Sounds to me like you need to teach "Art Appreciation" if you desired field is art. Not that any high schools or lower have such courses.

Of course there are also the "industrial arts" you might consider if you wish to teach.

My personal opinion is if you do not have a passion for the subject, then don't try to teach it.

There is more to art than just drawing, but there is no doubt that people will expect that in an art teacher.

It is like a carpenter that is not good at pounding nails.  Nails are not used much any more, but people expect nail pounding skill in a carpenter.