Does dried up, years old battery acid damage your nerves and muscles if you get some on an open cut or opening in the skin of your hands?
This is probably a stupid question, but I have bad OCD anxiety and I want to ask. So I went to a drawer of mine that contains old playstation 2 video games in my basement, and in that drawer there was my old playstation 2 as well, I remember a few years ago I found my playstation 2 in a drawer and it had dried up battery acid on it as well as other things in that drawer. My mother cleaned that drawer out a long time ago but I dont think she cleaned the playstation and its controllers which also had battery acid on them. Well when I went to look at the old playstation games the playstation 2 itself was now in that same drawer. There might have been some leftover dried up acid on the playstation and it might have spread on the game boxes because I shuffled everything around in that drawer. I had a small open gap in my skin that day. Later on I noticed that my hand was not feeling the same as it once did before, I have hand weakness in my left hand and I play guitar, and I have gotten used to how it feels nowadays, but right after the time I went to look at those games my hand started to feel even weaker than before. I began to worry that small amounts of dried up acid got into my muscles and nerves and has weakened my hand. Dont know if my hand feels very fatigued right now due to the acid worry or due to another reason unrelated to the acid that my hand is feeling weaker right now. It might be from playing guitar too much although I havent played that much lately. Any ad
- EdnaLv 73 weeks ago
If leaking battery acid is already years old and has dried up, it can't hurt you - no matter how much you handle your PlayStation or anything else. Dried acid (not that PlayStations contain battery acid) can't penetrate your skin.
- BIGMOUTHLv 64 weeks ago
Playstations and Videogames batteries do not contain any acid. Those are nickel-cadmium batteries. Cadmium and potassium hydroxide are two chemicals used in them. The material found on them might be above said in a dried form. Your problem is not related to acid. I am not a doctor.
- Diane ALv 71 month ago
Seriously you are completely fine and all your symptoms are imagined or nothing to do with what your scene says. This is way non physiological thinking.
- HarraldLv 71 month ago
Battery acid(concentrated Sulfuric Acid--H2SO4). This acid can burn holes in your clothes and burn skin. I do not have the technical text to learn the life expectancy of this acid, but I would avoid the acid no matter how old it is to be safe. I am not a chemist, and pouring water onto acid is not recommended whether in liquid or dried. Apply some of the dried H2SO4 onto grass and view whether the grass smokes and changes colors.
- What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
- Anonymous1 month ago
Your body maintains a certain pH level. It has to or you’ll die. So when exposed to acid it compensates. It also compensates when exposed to alkalinity.
Keep some baking soda in the house. Whenever you come in contact with something highly acidic, like battery acid, neutralize it with a solution of baking soda and water.
Worry about getting battery acid on your clothes. Clothes don’t have a way of compensating. The acidity will eat holes in them.
It’s not good for you to get battery acid under your skin, but your body will neutralize it in time.
On top of your skin you’ll get it on other surfaces and burn your skin. But as your skin regenerates from underneath the acid will fall off if not washed off.
Your discomfort will see to it that you wash it off.
Use baking soda to immediately neutralize. It’s very highly alkaline.
- Arthur DentLv 71 month ago
Schedule an appointment with your family doctor and show them as copy of what you have written here when they ask what brings you in today. Bring everything you think may have some leftover dried up acid with you. The doctor can give you a full physical and neurological workup to see if any medical issue needs to be addressed. Ask the doctor if they can test what you brought with you to make sure it is not contaminated. Based of the results of their examination they may refer you to a specialist for further evaluation and treatment. If you are not currently receiving treatment for your bad OCD anxiety you should schedule a follow-up visit with the mental health professional that diagnosed these conditions and get started with a new treatment plan.