Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

Is it my fault that my child is an introvert?

I have a daughter who’s an only child because I only wanted one. Growing up I sheltered her because I wanted to keep her innocent and safe as long as I could. Occasionally I put her in daycares so she could interact with other kids but since I wasn’t there I’m not sure how she was. When she hung out with a friend she was fine, but then when someone else came along she would be silent. But when she was with a group of people she would not utter a single word unless spoken to. With just me and her dad at home she was usually a normal kid but then out in public she’s quiet and acts like she doesn’t fit in with others. And I have tried encouraging her to be social but she just said that she was fine. Now she graduated high school not long ago and she’s still the same way. I’m worried about her for when she goes off to college. Was all this my fault? Is there any way I could try and fix this?

It sounds like your daughter is a natural loner. Some people are, you know. But because one of the signs of mild Autism, especially in young women, is a quest for solitude, it might be wise to have your daughter evaluated for Autism, if you can get her to agree to it.

Source(s): I'm mildly Autistic myself, and I have always been a loner.
  • GB

I  am an introvert, and was more so as a child. My siblings were more outgoing. There was not any difference in how we were brought up.

Introversion is an inborn personality type.

I'm an introvert, and very happy.