Older dog suddenly wants lots of attention?

The past 2 days our 10 year old labrador retriever has suddenly been coming to us for attention a lot more. He's always loved getting attention, but he only tells you he wants it a few times throughout the day. 

These days he's been sitting and staring at us, pawing at the air/chair to tell us "I want to be petted!" Once we pet him he lies down and seems happier, as he always does. Mind, he seems happy enough to jump around and play.

Its a noticeable change and I'm not sure whether to be concerned or not. It's gone from "I'd like a little bit of attention please" to "GIVE ME LOTS OF ATTENTION!"

• Maxi

You are concerned and it is a change of normal behaviour and when there is any change in your dogs behaviour you should be concerned as there is  'some' reason why, at 10 yrs old, take your dog to the vet, explain there is a change in normal behaviour and your dog needs a welness check to make sure he is OK........ once you know you are able to treat any health issue and hopefully he is fit and well, so you are no longer concerned about him wanting more love/attention

The dogs to be examined by a Veterinarian.  ANY dog that displays changed behavior needs to be examined by a Vet.

It's just that simple.  Sad story, but my 8 year old GSD suddenly didn't want to be more than inches away from me.  She was "my dog," but her behavior was extraordinarily "needy."  Otherwise she was the same as always.

I took her to the Vet.  It was colon cancer.  Should I have NOT waited 2 weeks?  Yes.  Would taking her to the Vet 2 weeks earlier have made a difference?  Probably not - but that doesn't help me feel better.

This sudden change in behavior or attitude,  is very likely to have a medical ROOT CAUSE.  Please see your vet.  Dogs get more attentive, plead for attention or 'hover" - when they are in pain or have some type of discomfort, if nothing has changed in your home - like somebody leaving or changing work hours.  Could be a bad tooth, bad hips, etc.  Senior dogs can go down hill quickly, & should see the vet EVERY 6 months for a physical exam, plus urine & blood work.

• Thay means its about to die, be nice and give it attn in its final hours