emily asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 month ago

paranoid about TSS?

i was SUPER exhausted thursday night. usually, because i hate pads, when i start feeling tired i change my tampon and set a four hour timer so that i can change it. however, friday morning it seemed that i had completely knocked out. to furthermore carry the absolute nightmare, when i ran to the bathroom, i somehow had two tampons in. i am now scared that TSS will form. 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • J
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

How on earth did you get two tampons in there at the same time? TSS is very rare and you would have to leave a tampon in for days to get it.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

There's no reason for you to be paranoid and afraid that you're  going to develop TSS from leaving a tampon in place for several hours. TSS is a blood poisoning that spreads throughout your body, and is caused when one specific type of bacteria enters an open wound. Hopefully, you have no open wound in your vagina.  

The myth that tampons could cause TSS was disproved by research in the early 1970's. In the early 1970's, some women who used tampons were exhibiting TSS-like symptoms. Research proved that the symptoms were being caused by a chemical that the manufacturer of a specific brand of tampon was adding to the cotton fibers of the tampons, in order to increase absorbency. That brand was banned from the shelves and is no longer being sold. 

There's no reason for you to set a timer, so that you can change a tampon every 4 hours during the night. You can safely leave a tampon in place all night long. Women who go to work every day often leave a tampon in place for over 8 hours at a time. 

My sister is a nurse, and nurses work 12-hour shifts. She inserts a fresh tampon when she leaves for work, and is often too busy during her shift to change it. She might have to leave a tampon in place for over 12 hours, and she's never suffered any ill effects from doing so. 

• emily1 month agoReport

thank u so much for taking time out of your day to explain this, i feel a lot better now!

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

You must be American, the only people who worry about TSS, we are more intelligent in the UK. Many years ago the makeup of tampons changed,they no longer use the same material.

TSS is unheard of in the U.K. and we ALL leave them in overnight for 8 hours.

• emily1 month agoReport

yes, definitely american, and american school systems DEFINITELY fail us here. ( by the way, it’s not really our fault, but the school system’s, as to why we don’t know the things we should. ) but thank u so so much, that was extremely helpful.

• kelvin
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

it makes you a troll as most women have enough pain and problems getting just one in there

• ...Show all comments
    • Edna
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Emily, you wrote,"When i ran to the bathroom, i somehow had two tampons in".  You're a  troll,  if you try to tell us that you had TWO tampons inside your vagina at the same time.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Toxic Shock Syndrome is rare, and setting a timer to change the tampon every four hours tells me you have an anxiety issue that needs to be addressed.

If you have none of the symptoms, let it go. There's plenty of room for two tampons (and plenty of us have done what you did) and worn both overnight for eight or ten hours with no ill effects.

• ...Show all comments
    • Speed
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Forget that teaching. Overnight--8 or 9 hours--is fine and your gynecologist will agree.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.