Can you think of any logical explanations for this phenomenon?

Why is it that this happens so frequently? When I am awake in bed and I make sure that I am completely still, I feel my mattress shake almost like there is somebody sitting at the edge of it and rocking it, my windows are normally closed and when they are I will sometimes hear my blinds hit the window. I am just curious as to why this happens, I am a believer in the paranormal however, I like to think of logical explanations because I don't like to jump to conclusions. When this does happen though, I can't help but feel the presence of something, maybe it is just my imagination but when this happens I am silent and still.

There are usually no fans on either. 

it sounds as if you might experiencing small earthquakes. i've felt them a few times in my life. most are too small to cause damage but they can cause your bed's mattress to vibrate. it feels sort of like someone dropped a quarter into the 'magic fingers' at the motel, only not as strong.

• CF

A camera would be your best helper because it will show what is happening from another angle´s perspective. An infrared camera would give you more detail.

If a camera is not easily available, try to  put something light at that edge of the bed to see how it behaves when the phenomenom happens. Maybe a sheet of paper or a paper cup. Check the movement and trajectory.of the object.That will help you to check if you´re being affected either by your internal environment or by something external, invisible.

• F

I’ve experienced this too, usually after  about 10 pints !

• Tom

Stray air currents from wind moving through the house, and even through cracks in the window frame can explain the blinds, thing----AND is MOST likely.  The bed thing is likely subconscious nerve and muscle reactions in your body as it automatically "re-balances" itself on the soft mattress.---------When figuring out "Mysteries" always go with the SIMPLEST explanation that will account for ALL of the observations.  Never ever go with a more complex explanation if is not needed.   And NEVER venture at all into "unnatural" explanations until you have exhausted ALL NATURAL ones-----and even then you have to account for the natural ones YOU personally do not know about at the time.

Your blinds are hitting the window because they are suspended and just hanging there. Because they have wide areas, they catch any breeze and swing. They hang in front of windows and windows are the place for draughts. Hang a length of toilet paper from your window and you will see what I mean or hold a wet hand there and you will feel the cold. If there is nobody to shake the bed, no device to shake the bed, no moving wall, and no moving floor, then all arrows point to you. You are possibly twitching just as you enter or leave sleep. You may not be aware of it but if you leave a camera running, it will show that you twitch and semi wake up during the twitching stage. This is possibly how your bed moves. You won't get any more logical an answer than that.

Edit. I have had second thoughts about this post. If something as paranormal as a bed shaking with no visible aid to make it do so is taking place, why did the blinds hitting the window get your attention? You should have been transfixed by the bed moving around. Everyone with bad fitting windows has blinds that rattle and hit the window frame so that should never have stolen your attention from a moving bed. I think this is just a wind up and never happened.

• Mr. P

Never trust anything in the moments before sleep or just waking up. Your mind can produce many realistic - but false events.

• I also experienced this at my last place of residence but only in the last several months or so that I was there. I hate to admit but I spent a lot of time just hanging out in my bed while fully awake - watching tv, browsing the internet, etc- and I would feel it shaking. 

• Dr. NG

I can think of a few. You not being fully awake is the most likely. If you are fully awake why haven't you quickly jumped out and checked it out, recorded, or called out to someone (assuming availability.)

0

• Imagining that you can hear and feel things just as you are falling asleep is quite normal and is called hypnagogia.

It could be that your body is shaking involuntarily while being relaxed - a kind of nerve problem. If you live in the near of industry, it can be a vibration of heavy engines or a train passing by.

• Dixon

Sounds like Space Pixies, they love to shake mattresses and rattle blinds.