At what point can you legitimize yourself as an artist?

When can you make the claim that you are an artist? Sure anyone can claim they are an artist almost to the point where the term has no meaning at all. But I did some drawings a few years back that a friend of mine was looking through and there is one in particular that she liked so much that she asked if she could have it tattooed onto her ankle. Nothing would make me happier than to have one of my drawing tattooed onto someone. So does this make me a legitimate artist?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

When can you claim you're a hiker?  A bike rider? A writer?  A dancer?  

You can say you are when you think you are.  That's the only qualification.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 4 weeks ago

When you draw something and able to sell it your work.

• 4 weeks ago

The second you put mental effort into creating something. It starts in the mind, and you bring forth into reality something the world has never seen that at one point existed only to you.

• John
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

First - take the moment and run with it! Good for you!. On a broader scale, I try to avoid folks who need to agonize over that question, like the plaque.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Tim D
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

There is no restriction, anyone can make art, anyone can be an artist, there are no Art Police to hunt you down and remove your permission to call yourself an artist.

• sam
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

My general rule is that if someone has paid me money to do something then I can have official confirmation in my head that I’m actually part of that profession. But everyone has different views on this, and a big part of starting out is Fake it till you make it! 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.