Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 1 month ago

Are there any species of birds that can safely be in the same cage and get along with a starling?

I asked the other day what to do with a baby starling whose parents were killed (not by me and I'll provide more details if requested but kind of long story). I took 3 babies in and sadly 2 of them died. The 3rd one is doing great though and I planned to release it when it's ready, but then people on here said that's not a good idea. I did more research and they were right. Apparently they imprint on people when raised alone and can't survive in the wild plus they are an invasive species anyways. 

The problem is I don't have time for a pet starling but I have no other options if it can't be released (no killing it is not an option so please don't bother answering if that's your answer!). I guess they need a lot of attention and interaction. So I know it sounds weird if I dont have time for one bird why get two? But my thought on this is maybe that would actually require less time because both birds would have interaction with each other and need less time and attention from me to be happy. Of course I would do everything they need like feed them, water, clean cage, toys, flight time in a flight safe room if needed, etc but I wouldn't have to sit there for hours holding a bird for them to be happy if they had friends. So I'm wondering first of all is this even a good idea? And if so what species of bird would work for this that I could find at a pet store? I initially thought parakeets but after further research it sounds like they could end up hurting each other. 

I should add this just in case people are wondering: I couldn't find any wildlife rehabilitators that would take in starlings because they're an invasive species. Believe me I tried! So it wasn't like I figured I'd just be an amateur rehabber I just can't find other options. 

A bird that has imprinted on humans is unlikely to cope with a bird that knows it is a bird.

There is a lengthy process involved in distancing a bird from it's human 'parent'.

Source(s): Wildlife carer that has taised several different species from nestling to release.
    • Tarkarri
      1 month agoReport

Releasing this bird as an invasive species will lead to the death of native bird, possibly threatened or endangered ones. Your choices are a)pet, possibly illegal as invasive
      b)release, damaging environment, illegal because invasive, or
      c)euthanise, what should have been done when you found it.