Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 month ago

Should a parent be charged if they inadvertently leave their baby in a hot car and cause them to have a heat stroke and die? ?

• L

Yes.  I it a parents job to ALWAYS know where their child is.

Manslaughter at the very least.  In some cases, it's murder when they have been filmed checking on the car with the kid in it before suddenly sounding the alarm.

Yes. Because being a parent means that the person needs to be responsible. Parents who do this aren't being responsible, and worse, they are needlessly endangering the lives of their children. The same is true for pet owners who leave their dogs and cats in a hot, closed car while they go shopping or to the movies or whatever. In most states, that's a criminal offense as well, as it should be.

A while ago a foster mom thought she dropped off her todder at daycare, but in reality the poor thing was in her backseat all day. After her full day at work, she gets in her car only to find the foster child there. She was arrested and charged. At first, I thought they were being too harsh- it was an accident and she was devastated. But later I realize that although it was inadvertent, she directly caused a helpless young life to be cut short. She should have been much more careful and because of this she needs to pay the price. It's also possible that by decriminalizing it, parents might be more lax on the subject of temporarily leaving their children in a hot car, even for a short errand. It may be inadvertent, but it is still manslaughter.

Yes, negligent homicide.  That parent neglected to take care of their child.

• sarah

Honestly, yes, I think so. I try so hard not to judge when this happens...but I still cannot wrap my head around how it's possible to FORGET about your own child. Heck, I catch myself checking my back seat even when I KNOW my daughter isn't with me.

There IS no "inadvertently."  You NEVER have to leave a baby in a hot car. NEVER EVER EVER EVER.  It's neglect, or idiocy, or plain unvarnished cruelty. YES they should be charged. 

• Anna
      1 month agoReport

Neglect and idiocy. Only cruelty if done deliberately.

• edward

How do you accidentally leave your kid in the car?

• Anna
      1 month agoReport

A parent whose really tired has to take the kid to nursery, they don't usually take the kid the other parent does, and they then think they dropped the kid off when arriving at work.

Yes, of course they should. It doesn’t matter if it was unintentional - it’s still manslaughter, in addition to being child neglect, which are both felonies.

I think most, if not all, are (charged) these days. Even those who leave animals in hot cars are too.