Why does God exist rather than nothing at all? ?

I can imagine a reality in which there is no God, no universe, no life, nothing. But our reality has life and a universe and a God.

Does religion tell us why God exists? I'm NOT asking why you believe in God. I'm asking why God has existence at all. 

83 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favourite answer

God cannot not exist, that’s why.

• ...Show all comments
    • Jeffrey K
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

If it is impossible for God to not exist, that makes God a "necessary being". That makes sense. That is a possibility. That is something I need to give some thought. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Paul
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

There is no answer to that question. We might ask "why" He came into existence. But He didn't come into existence. He simply is, and always was. There is no reason "why". It's just how it is.

• 1 month ago

There is no evidence to support a god exists. There seems not to be a reason for a god to exist, therefore, I do not believe that a god exists.

• 1 month ago

God exists in order that everything else could exist.  

In other words, everything else exists directly from the action of our Creator.

Your question seems to imply that it is a choice to have everything else with or without God.    The truth is, 

"With you is the source of life. 

By your light we can see light."  Psalm 36:9

Remember, after God first created the heavens and the earth, He said: "Let there be light." and there was light.

Time is a part of the universe which had a beginning.  Scientists such as Edwin Hubble calculated the beginning of the universe, and Stephen Hawking demonstrated the beginning of time through a study of the energy and matter that expands all over the universe.  This is the universe within which all energy, matter, forces, space, and time exist.  

God is not a part of the energy and matter that is not created nor destroyed.  He is the source of life and existence.  He is the source of all of these things:

26 “Lift up your eyes to heaven and see. 

Who has created these things?

It is the One who brings out their army by number; 

He calls them all by name.

Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power,

Not one of them is missing.

- Isaiah 40:26

Something does not come from nothing.  Particles that appear and disappear within this universe is not what grows into stars and planets, and life and humanity.  These things require tremendous intelligence, which God our Creator and the source of life supplies. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Produce your god and we will ask it. Oh wait...

• 1 month ago

Religion does tell us that God exists. Why does He exist? In order to keep a lid on things, for without Him, evil would run rampant in every person's heart, and society would be in chaos continually.  

• ...Show all comments
    • Roberta B
      Lv 6
      4 weeks agoReport

Jeffery K, check my response and comments please - I am sure that I answered your question.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

God will say they live (not exist) but to answer the question if God did not exist nothing would.

• ...Show all comments
    • Jeffrey K
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

You said "if God didn't exist, nothing would." Ok. So why isn't there just nothingness? Why does God exist?

• Dr. D
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Either the universe always existed and came out of nothingness, or God always existed and came out of nothingness. Either option, seems implausible.

When I ponder such a conundrum I try to picture the following: Imagine a hundred years in the future and you have billion time more computer power. You create a game where your characters live in their own universe and they all have artificial intelligence, and free will. Some of these characters will investigate their universe and determine there must be a creator. Other characters look around their universe and find no evidence of a creator. All they can experience is within the computer program you developed. They cannot imagine anything outside of their computer program. 

In many respects our universe resembles a computer generated simulation. All of the bits and pixels in our universe is on the Plank scale, but it is bits and pixels. Quantum physicists tell us that atoms are composed of quarks, that are composed of strings, that are just bits of information. So perhaps our universe isn't real at all, and the Buddhists are correct in saying that consciousness is the only reality.    

• Roberta B
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

Just because we have video games and movies that mix reality with fantasy does not mean that the idea of someone making reality-like computer worlds is anything more than human imagination. You still have to determine where those someones came from,and how THEY came to exist. Infinite regress-again.

• In the past few hundred years, we have become aware of various mechanisms whereby complexity can arise from less complex origins by natural processes.

That being the case, it is no longer necessary to hypothesize that the "First Cause" was complex (a god).  The First Cause, if it existed, could be utterly simple.

BTW, it is impossible to inhabit a reality that contains NOTHING.

Also, consider this:  do the true theorems of mathematics exist independent of "reality"?  If so, they are an example of something that exists without being created.

• 1 month ago

The reason there can be nothing at all is because energy cannot be created, thus just exists. Why, I don't really know, but I do understand the experiments proving that energy cannot be created, nor destroyed. Our reality has life, a universe, but only the "concept" of God that can be invalidated by what we already can know.

There is a natural order to complexity, which is just built upon simplicity chained together over time. This is a necessary order. Everything we build and everything that naturally forms does so in steps over time, building upon the simplicity that was already there (energy) that cannot be created but can convert into other forms of energy that can chain together over time to give us all of the complexity that we currently see. You will never be able to give an example of complexity with learning it came form simpler beginnings. This is why the concept of God is impossible. The thinking of theists is everything is built, thus needs a builder, but most of existence is naturally formed, including intelligent humans. It is only our intellect that allows building past the point of what nature can form.

• 1 month ago

In religion it's a given that all this didn't get here by itself.

Source(s): Greek Orthodox Christian
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.