Aubrie asked in HealthMental Health · 1 month ago

How can I get mental health help when my parents won't let me?

I am 16, and homeschooled at the moment, well, done with school for the year actually I think. So I can't go to a school counselor or teacher. I am very depressed and tried to express to them how bad I am doing and they just brushed me off. I have been suicidal, and have some anxiety too. Some mild hallucinations. I can't go anywhere because of everything going on in the world, and I tried talking to someone online but I need real serious help that will fix me more permanently. I need more than a talking to, but my parents think it is not important. They have done this in the past when I was depressed before and I almost died, long story. Idk how much longer I can take it, I am in pain, and I see no way out. My sister also needs help and they said the same to her.

I grew up taking care both of my parents . My father lost both his legs he was diabetic and my mother has two bad knee's been needing to get replaced we were saving up money for medical because only one parent had medical care . I was also homeschooled for the last three years of my high school. Try calling and making an appiontment with a councilor if you can not make that appiontment use family membors to talk too let the stress our maybe write letters to somebody 

I just dont get teens right now, they are rude and depressed about life.   Most people get depressed when they are in the 30s.   It is because you have to work hard in order to feed your family.   You have to deal with your boss and the behavior and we as employee cannot do anything since they are paying your salary.  

Teens do too much internet and social media and dont go out doing outdoor activities like basketball and hiking.   On social media, people talk without manners since they think they are safe at home doing that flaming thing.  Lack of exercise and real social interactions cause someone to be depressed.   On the internet, the interactions of texts and photos are only about 30% from the real social interactions.   You cannot see the expression of the face.   You cannot see their body language.  You cannot play and tease them with your body.   

So go out more.  At least walk around your house for 15 minutes daily.    

PS: of course, my teenage life wasnt 100% amusing since I had to move to another country and get to know the culture.   But I saw it as a learning experience and not an excuse to be depressed about my life.   My advice for young people, have fun and not thinking too much about making money and having sex with girls...

Source(s): I used to be a teen long time ago and it was very amusing for me
    • Uhura4 weeks agoReport

You do not have to understand teens to support them.  I am not a teen but do remember what it was like.  I am happy  that you had an 'amusing' time for you in your teens but you can still support those that don't.  We don't have to understand why a person feels they do to listen to and support them.

Look up the number for Child Protective Services in your area and call them. Let them know what is happening in your home. Tell them how you're feeling and how your parents are dealing (or not) with it. Or call your suicide hotline and tell THEM--ask for numbers to agencies who can direct you to help. Please get some help here--and try as hard as you can to.  

Get legal help.  This IS abuse and so you can use that.  But it might be difficult to do that to your parents.  

If you don't want to report them immediately so you can get help, threaten to report them and they'll have to bend to your will.  If not, then go ahead and do it.

Your primary care doctor can help if you can figure out a way to get to the doctor.  There's several options.  You could possibly make up some sort of illness; you could insist that the mental issue are more serious than your parents acknowledge and ask that they allow your doctor to decide if you need counseling or treatment; or you can 911 and tell the operator that you are suicidal and your parents don't believe you. 

You should talk to people you trust, I felt the same way you do now a few years ago. What you need to do is sit your parents down and say to them that you're being serious about your depression. I didn't tell my parents because I didn't want to disappoint them so I made the mistake of telling my school. The thing is when I told my school, they blamed my parents, I almost got removed from my family and put into social services and both my sister and my mum almost lost their jobs. Don't make the mistake of telling the wrong people because I have lost friends over my mental health in the past because their parents didn't want me "corrupting" their child. 

You need to drill into your parents heads how you're feeling and eventually hey will accept it. When my parents were young, depression and suicide wasn't common. So it's a new and foreign concept for them to fully accept. The both of you need to make sure your parents understand fully. I can tell you there will be a time where you'll feel down, but it will get better. I promise :) xx

• patty

in australia we have Lifeline, u can talk to these people and they would help. Not sure which country you are from but there must be a phone line help for the depressed etc. Do an online search

At your age, you are legally able to seek medical and mental health care without your parents permission. While many counselors really prefer when parents are aware of and willing to be involved in their child's treatment, it's not required by law. You can go to a local mental health agency and make an appointment all on your own. 

• Aubrie1 month agoReport

Thank you for the advice.

Delete any social media accounts if you have them (Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/TikTok) because a lot of people say they cause mental health problems. Another thing you should do is avoid tap water. Drink only bottled water or Brita filtered water including for cooking. Also walk at least 2 miles a day (approximately 1 hour) There are apps for this on your phone. Wear a hat, etc. for sun protection, or go in the middle of the day you might get a sunburn though. Maybe you could go with your sister.

Also make sure you don’t smoke or drink alcohol or hang out in any communities where people smoke or do drugs (one of the main reasons for avoiding social media which focuses on partying and going to clubs). 

• Aubrie1 month agoReport

Thanks for the advice. I do enjoy going outside as long as it isn't too hot. I do archery on our driveway. While the things you mentioned won't really cure me, some might be a good distraction.

try this. I have been depressed too.

when you are alone write two lists. (keep it secret) on one list write all that is troubling you and on the other what makes you happy. you may even get 100 on the sad list and only 3 - 4 on the happy list. now try at least each 14 days cross one off the sad list and if you can add one to the happy list. soon you will see a way forward. that is my idea.

now what my friend told me (and it worked) she said to write down all that was depressing me and read it over and over again. many screwed up bits of paper and many more tears I finally managed to get my feelings down. months later I finally felt better enough to throw away what I had written and then decided that whatever happened in the future no bugger would get me that low again. and try as they might no one has succeeded.

best wishes.

• Aubrie1 month agoReport

That sounds like a great way to slowly try to think more positively. I am glad it worked so well for you.