How can i convince my mother that graphic design is a good carreer?

I am currently studying IT but have been thinking about switching to graphic design simply because i think fits me more but my mother has been disappointed. How can i convince her its a good carreer

• Speed

Jamal, that's going to be a real hard sell, because it's only a good career for some designers--the best ones, the hot ones, the flexible ones, the trendy ones. The rest either have jobs they hate ("Great, a new label for this toilet cleaner, coming right up! And a print ad for magazines, too? I'm thrilled.") or are self-employed and not earning much or do, but irregularly.

That's based on a grand total of six people I know who are or have been in graphic design, which is surely not a representative sample. Not one of them earns a living at it, although Tim should, because he's really good.

Work for Apple, take your carrier that way. 1 thing I learned about working is, it's all about connection. I have had about 6 different jobs/carriers none of them, Have I Ever Went into a interview and I'm only 24 years old. Did not have a physical resume, only verbal. It's all about connection man. The more connection you have the easier life is. You can have an IT degree and if you have some background skill in graphic design. BAM you're hired, but you need to think about, what places that are close to where you live that are hiring GD. If that job isn't within 15 miles, you might not want to go into that field, on top of that is the local area Full of GD grounds? If it's only 1 place in your county and you get into that field and HATE your coworkers, WELL DAMN, you screwed. The job might be perfect but the people might not be and the pay might not aswell. Is it worth the effort to make $14 a hour and have 100k in college debt, no . . . simple answer. In 10 years your pay would have only gone up to $6 = $20 if you're lucky. Some jobs already paying $20. However if you have connections, oh boy life just got easier. Hey you can get a IT job, and work on your GD skills without going into school. Be smart about it. 

Honestly, you probably can't.  You can look up graphic design job postings on website like Indeed. This will give you (and your mum) some idea of what the salary is for both entry-level and experienced designers as well as the number of available jobs.  You can also look at the different types of companies that hire graphic designers.  

I would also suggest that you consider your current artistic ability and creativity.  Employers hire skills.  If you aren't a good designer, don't create interesting work, etc. you are unlikely to get hire or promoted.  

• John

How many paintings or drawings have you sold?

If the answer is none then this is a bad idea.

• Tim D
      1 month agoReport

I don't care whether you are bad tempered, I care about you thinking that graphic design constitutes selling drawings and paintings.

• Tim D

"because i think fits me more" why do you think that?

Graphic design can give you a career, even a good career, but the number of graduates looking for few jobs means that a lot of people who take the course will never work in the industry. Maybe your IT knowledge will give you an advantage in some aspects of graphic design that you could leverage.

• Murzy

It's very difficult to get a good paying job in this field.