Is it ok for a 10 year old to listen to explicit music?

My friends little sis is ten years old and listens to songs and some have a tiny bit of swearing but her parents will not let her get the albums if they have “swear words” she likes kpop and jpop and she needs the cds as they are her favourite kpop artists she likes blackpink twice Dreamcatcher and red velvet but she really likes blackpink but in kill this love Japanese version Lisa said in her part after Jennie she says Here I come kick in the door

Act like I'm buyin' the store

You better give me some love

*****, fill it up give me some more yep you know what her parents would say as she already has the Korean one but also wants the Japanese one her parents would say no your grounded for even thinking about buying that so should her sister get her it and is explicit music ok for 10 year olds or is it for 11/12 year olds people should be able to listen to whatever they want

• Diana

Children are very impressionable and should be shielded from anything that isn't age appropriate.  When, they're older and more mature, they'll be able to better judge what types of speech is/isn't OK.  

Parents have the right to instill in their child whatever values they wish. They child will eventually choose the path they want to follow as they mature. I once saw a video on face book where a mother was recording her five or six year old calling her a *****.I suppose those of you who say it's ok for a young child to be exposed to vulgarity at an early age think that's fine and you wouldn't mind your child referring to you as a *****. Of course children are exposed to explicit language, but does that mean it's ok for them to use it, and they will, when talking to anyone? Words do offend, even if they're not explicit. Children or not matured enough to know how and when and what words to use without offending someone. Many adults have the same problem. Words do hurt. Anyone who believe they don't are either immatured or just don't care.   

• Sky

Yes.  Words should not be censored from kids and kids should not be shielded from words.  Swear words are as much a part of our language as any other word.  They carry a meaning and have various forms of usage just the same as any other word.  The labeling of a word as a "swear word" or "offensive" is completely subjective and arbitrary.  Some people think nothing of it when they hear the word "sh!t", while other people are offended by the childish alternatives of "crap" or "crud".  And I can tell you from firsthand experience, when I was a kid I heard more explicit language on the school bus and playground than I ever did in music or from my parents, who didn't really watch their language.  Shielding a kid from swear words from one source is kinda like holding up an umbrella in a hurricane; you're still getting wet, just from a different direction besides up.

Words should not be treated as something to be offended by or afraid of.  All that does is create unnecessary phobias over something as simple and harmless as words, and phobias are never a good thing.  I could go more into the ridiculousness of censorship, such as when they put action movies on TV and censor all the swear words (or harmless nudity for that matter) while doing nothing to hide the imagery of people getting brutally killed or blown up, but that's a long discussion for another time.

I think it's fine, but I think kids can handle more than what a lot of adults think they can. Also, I remember kids swearing when I was that age. It's more appealing BECAUSE it's forbidden.

• James

I don't know what swear words are in these music cds, but this is something to consider:

People (Americans especially) have some really bizarre priorities. The word "fu¢k" means to pleasure each other sexually, to make love, to make babies. That's a beautiful thing. Yet the word "fu¢k" is considered obscene while words like "kill," "murder," and "torture" are completely acceptable. That's crazy, don't you think?

• Julia1 month agoReport

Listening to violent lyrics in isolation is volatile, and youngsters frequently have earbuds chronically ... I pay attention to tough rap that most mother and father wouldnt like. Im excellent tho. Im a great more info https://afrobeat.co.za

You guys are all hicks, I was masturbating at 5 years old and today at 18 I am continuing Julian Assange's work essentially. And you are telling me your 10 year old is too immature to not be corrupted by a few lexicons that social construct deemed "uncivilized?" Pathetic generation, pathetic people. 

I would not allow that type of music in my house.

• Greg

No. She still has virgin ears.

No, that shouldn't be okay.

• ?

Thats down to the parents, really. Some parents wpuld be ok with that, but if her parents say she cant liaten to music with explicit lyrics, thats their choice for their child