Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 2 months ago

Is my moms 2014 Honda Civic considered a muscle car? It has 205HP (the same as my 1984 Corvette 205HP)?

My uncle let me have a 1984 Corvette he no longer wanted, amyways after driving my moms civic i felt like it was slightly more powerful and picked up speed quicker. So i did some research and coincedently they both have the same amount of horse power. So that brings me to my question, is my moms car considered a modern day muscle car? It does seem to have power for its small size/weight ratio even though it has wimpy looks. 

In its day, the Corvette would be considered to look like a 'muscle car' rather than drive like one.

.

There were cars back in the late 60's that looked the part and drove like 'muscle cars'.  But they would be fairly so-so compared to the power of most any modern products.

.

Some would say that any front wheel drive car is not a  true 'muscle car', no matter how many horses if has.

No. The '84 through '92 vettes were not considered "muscle" cars. Although some editions had twin turbos for 405 HP. They're considered "personal" or "sport" cars. The difference that you noticed is the weight & the transmissions.

• james

Muscle vehicles are more like your Scrums. With the big 3s. in them. Large pistons, long stroke, high torque, lower horse power motors. Geared low & drive mean. Vehicles you can pull a plow with all day, or climb 12% grades with a toney in the box. Pure power low RPM motors. 55 mpr is flying low in a Scum on the road. But they do have muscle. 

Not a muscle car. Fuel injection is a big improvement than the days of carburetor engines. 

'Muscle Car' is a specific type of vehicle - it's not just horsepower rating.

Some modern day muscle cars are Dodge Challenger (especially Hellcat and Demon), Ford Mustang GT500, Chevy Camaro ZL1.

Corvettes (especially the newest mid-engine version) are generally categorized as 'sports cars'.

The 2014 Honda Civic is just a 4-Door Sedan (or a hatchback, assuming they still make a hatchback) - even if it has quite a bit of power (and can be built to have even more).

1984 was a very bad year for American cars. 205 HP for such a heavy car isn't so impressive, so comparing a Civic make the Civic look muscular. 205 HP in a car a few hundred pounds lighter might inspire to to want to hunt some Vettes. Before you bet pink slips, You might run into one that has been modded for more juice, but at 1800 rpm the Honda makes a lot more HP than the V8 Vette both stock.The Vette makes a lot more torque, so yeah, go have fun, like I used to do Killing Harleys with my Honda motorcycle. The didn't like that, but I'm the West Coast Chainsaw Boxer, so all arguments were settled quickly.

TROLL alert. Nobody is this stupid. 

• Ramiro

There are many definitions for a muscle car, and everyones opinion is always different. Some people say a muscle car is not about the way it looks, or how big the engine is, or how much horse power it has, but rather by its weight/power/engine size ratio. So that means some people might consider the Civic a modern day muscle car, after all it has impressive HP and Torque for its small 1.8 V4 engine. 

No, it is not a muscle car. Neither is a Corvette, which is a sports car.

• Dze

yeah but the corvette probably has 400 ft lbs of torque and the civic about 90 lol ...