Anonymous

Why would someone lie?

My employee told me Wednesday he couldn't come to work until Tuesday which is tomorrow because he was sick, but I was shopping at the store and I swear I saw him. He walked past me real fast and I saw him one more time and I got a real good look at him and I know it was him. He was wearing the exact same hat he always wears and jacket. I told him I saw him and he said no, it wasn't me you must have saw someone else. I said ok but I know he lied. Why lie?

Well obviously he lied because he knew he’d been spotted and admitting the truth could get back to the boss and get him in trouble. Him saying you were mistaken is your word against his if it got back to your boss so that was his only way out.

I wouldn't know, not trump or any of his sheep.

Lying in these days is the key to success. 

Maybe he DID have a medical issue.  You think those people never go to the store?   It may not even have been anything contagious.  It could have been emergency dental surgery or something like that.

Maybe he needed the day off for another reason.  In my neck of the woods employers are required to offer "sick and safe leave".  Employees are entitled to use it for a whole lot of reasons other than their own illness.   They are not required to give specific details as to why they are taking the leave. 

Happens all the time. Covid 19? Just lazy?  Are you going to fire him or not is the question.

Umm, if you were really his boss you would have gone up to him. 

How do you know he wasn't going to the pharmacy and doing some essential shopping?

Likely because he was not actually sick and did not want to go into work. He didn't want you to know that he lied so he lied once again after you saw him. As you are his boss, he does not want you to think badly of him. Just my outsider opinion :)

• Mandy

Who really cares?

Because he didn't want to come to work until Tuesday and didn't want to tell you the real reason why.