Anonymous

How would you persuade your boss to give you a pay rise for a mortgage?

Hi,

I need some advice please on how to persuade my boss about increasing my salary so I have a better chance at getting a decent mortgage. I am well aware that due to the Coronavirus, everyone has got a lot to deal with and I do not want to put anymore pressure onto anyone. 

All being well, I should be able to apply for a mortgage in a few months.

Clearly, I want the best property that I can get so I'm thinking that now will be the best time to try and persuade my manager for a pay rise.

How and what do I say?? 

I'm working remote at the moment due to the Covid-19 situation but I'm prefer to speak to my Manager face to face.

If this changes anything, I'm 21 and I qualified after my apprenticeship and my Manager kindly gave me a permanent job. After qualifying, I have been given much bigger responsibilities and my Manager has even praised me for my work. 

Help please!! 

the only valid reason you could ever have is that you have contributed much more to the business, wether or not you are buying  a house is probably irrelevant to the boss.

If your work performance is good enough, it will speak for itself. Is there a way 

for you to speak to both your manager and THEIR boss about your situation ?

Hi, 

I think it is not the right time for you to request increasing of your salary. 

as a matter of fact, currently your company might be in bad situations to overcome this COVID-19. 

In over the world, the employees has been fired instead. 

So, despite to request increasing your salary, I sugessted you to just be professional as well as you are, do a lot of prevention for preventing COVID-19 spreading, stay well, and after this bad time over, then you meet your bos, and propose increasing salary. 

As you know your boss has aspirations of making his business a success.  The virus is throwing a monkey wrench into that right now, so he CAN'T CARE ABOUT your desires. You still got a job. Better be happy with that because YOU CAN BE REPLACED.  He owes you nothing (especially money) so persuasion is not going to cut it.   You need a second job or a better job and that is not GOING TO HAPPEN RIGHT NOW.  

. Just bad timing on your part.  You are going to have to wait till a REAL TURN AROUND HAPPENS WITH THIS VIRUS.  That could be a YEAR OR 2 DOWN THE ROAD.

"and my Manager kindly gave me a permanent job." Note the word "kindly" - meaning- he could have given it to "SOMEONE ELSE".  It was not forced on him by seniority or Union rules or dictate so you are working because he forgot about you.  Now you want to stir up schit?  HE does not care about your welfare(your aspirations, dreams, visions)  You GOT TO PUT OUT MORE FOR HIM, proving you are worth every penny he pays you right now.  The Manager is "not the Boss" so he too is getting paid from someone higher up the "food chain" & is an employee.

. He put out for you and got you your job.  Yeah, it works like that.

Besides, let this virus play out some more.  Chances are good that many more homes will go up for sale as others can't make the payments.  Yes, this is taking advantage of people who are suffering during the epidemic, but you would not being doing anything LESS SCUMMY than the POTUS does.  You buy low and sell high.

Wanting to secure a mortgage is not a good enough reason to ask for a pay rise. You need to ask for one based on your MERIT and VALUE as an employee. Your boss isn't concerned with what you can or cannot afford, he or she is interested in how much you contribute to the company. 

Unless you are horribly underpaid, or trying to live on a wage that isn't livable, you only ever should ask for a rise based on merit and performance. That's IT. Nothing else. And right now is probably not the best time. 

It's good you want to plan for your future, but that's not your company's responsibility, it's only yours. Step back and look at the big picture here: if YOU were the boss and someone asked you this, how seriously would you consider it right now? 

I wouldn't.  It's clearly the WRONG time.  If you do, I would not be surprised if he fired you on the spot.  If and when raises are given, it would be at your annual review, and only at your annual review.  And if your annual review is during covid, let it go.  Be grateful that you still have a job.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.

I would never ask a 1st line supervisor for a raise. Go to HR and ask them what the criteria for raises are with your company. Tell them your thinking of buying a house.  HR is also a very 'safe space' during any economic time. Many departments in HR aren't even a part of the company any more, their strictly there for employees. If you do things the hard way in a company, you'll get rejected. Make it easy for them to 'give' you the raise.

• DEBS

The reason you want more money is not relevant. After doing research to see what you could be making at other companies, you then take that knowledge to him along with your contributions to date and potential to continue to excel and help the company. It's then your boss' job to decide whether you're worth more money or if he can find someone to do your work for the same or cheaper rate if you leave. (Taking into account having to deal with training someone new, etc.)

Raises are not given based on an employee wanting to buy a house or car or anything else.

Raises are given when the employer recognizes your profitability and wants to keep you.  

Because of the pandemic, there are probably 100 other people willing to do your job for less than you are.   It's really not a good time to ask for a raise.  Your  employer may kick you to the curb. 

You have many mixed up thoughts.

A mortgage and covid19 have absolutely nothing to do with asking for a raise.

And at 21, you are probably years away from qualifying for a mortgage even if you get a raise.

That said, you ask for a raise by rationally explaining why you think you are worth more. (Leaving out stuff like a mortgage & covid19)

Maybe even look for and apply for similar jobs elsewhere.