Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 2 months ago

Why do cars still have front grills?

(by the way this is not a rant im just curious for a technical answer)  

Grills are old-school. They started of as big heavy chrome ornaments in front of the car. Some say they started off as decoration, others say it was too cool the radiator and prevent the car from overheating. But now its 2020 and cars STILL have front grills. I hate grills, they take up space, look ugly, and look unecassary. In my opinion a car should have the 'shaved' clean look kind of like Corvette which has no front grill. So your answer might be "the grill is still around to prevent the car from overheating". But its 2020 are you telling me they cant find ways to keep the car cool like installing multiple high tech fans etcetera?? Any info appreciated.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • F
    Lv 6
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

From a practical point of view it’s an easy way to get air flow to the radiator . Sure you can do it with ducts and electric fans but why do away with probably the most efficient way? 

Also it’s the face of the car that often instantly tells you what it is, like Rolls Royce, Mercedes, BMW etc. These are virtually trade marks that the makers want to presrve.

• ...Show all comments
    • F
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

It’s also a money maker where the same car within a group has a different grille and gullible snobs are willing to pay more. I.e VAG, Audi’s cost more than a VW lwhich cost more than SEAT which cost more than a Skoda.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

A grill is functional in cooling. Do you mean a bumper? A bumper is functional in preventing radiator damage in a light accident.

Even with "high tech" fans, the heat has to have somewhere to go.

• M.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

A grille is not an ornament.

It keeps stuff out of the radiator.A single bird strike could make a hole in your radiator and stop your progress and ruin your day.The model T Ford had a radiator out in the open with a frame around it.

• 2 months ago

Grills are about the only way to tell one brand from another these days as the side profiles are almost exactly the same -- for aerodynamic efficiency. So if you are going to have a grill anyway then use it to also cool the engine.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Openings in the front are needed to get air to the radiator. Otherwise the engine will overheat and seize up. Car manufacturers have about 120 years of experience.

• anon99
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

because we the Customer want and demand front Grills

if anyone tried to sell me a Mercedes Benz RR Bentley without one they will lose a sale

a co9rvet is an ugly car so is the stupid Mustang

buit an Aston martin DB 4 now that is a car

• Barry
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

A front grille is a simple and cheap method of cooling the engine. Of course there are other ways. Some cars have ducts under the front end. Others have scoops let into the sides. But a grille at the front is in the ideal position for efficient air flow. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

• arther
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

what a stupid idea add more electrical load to  the car you obversely have no idea what your talking about and must live where its cold all year round . How well you think your fans will work at 40 degree celsius?

Lets make it unpractical so it will look good you're as big a nuffy as the idiot that told me how good my 4wd would look if I lowered it .

• Bill
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

To most people a grill isn't ugly, it's a normal part of a car. The grill is one way that each auto brand has its own unique style.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Go to mechanical engineering school and take several courses on heat transfer.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.