Answer asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Why are cats afraid of big dogs?

Not all are. I have owned many cats in my life. None were scared of dogs. Even when I was sharing a house as a young adult, my very small cat was totally in charge of my housemates Great Dane and would steal food from the dog's bowl.

Cats are not necessarily always scared of dogs. Despite the saying. 'fight like cat and dog', cats and dogs are not natural enemies, and there's actually no reason at all why they need to be! 

By cats being scared of dogs, I take it you mean cat fear due to the cat's reaction to a dog's aggression, or a dog treating them as 'prey' for chasing. That's not necessarily always seen in big dogs. There are some small dog breeds which have the same instinct to chase, due to being bred for hunting, for example Yorkshire Terriers were originally bred to hunt rodents. There are also some big dogs who are known to be perfectly friendly with cats, like German shepherds, golden retrievers, Labradors and Newfoundlands.Remember, the animal's temperament depends largely on how they are raised as a juvenile. In other words, a dog is a lot more likely to be accepting of and friendly with cats if they're brought up around cats as a puppy, and a cat is a lot more likely to be accepting of and friendly with dogs if they're brought up around dogs as a kitten.My family has owned both dogs and cats over the years who have been fine together. I work in the Dogs Trust, and I've also worked with plenty of dogs there before who are perfectly cat friendly.

Hope this helps.

That most certainly isn't always true.  At one point we had two cats and two dogs.  One dog was larger (Doberman Pinscher) and the other was a small Poodle mix weighing around 13 lbs., which was about the same size that both of our cats were.  Our cats had MUCH more fear of the small dog than the Dobe. Just for the record, I'm sure that there are large dogs that are afraid of cats, too.  I think it all depends on each individual animal, cat or dog, regardless of it's size.

My cat isn't, so I don't know.

• Matt

Larger louder animal with sharp teeth.