Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Why won’t the dangerous dog act be amended ?

I’m not saying get rid of it but seriously it needs to be looked at, no dog is born evil or bad dogs are a product of their environment, if you train a dog to be aggressive then that’s the owners fault. I get why it’s in place because some types of dogs most notable the Pitbull in the wrong hands are dangerous but like I said isn’t any dog in the wrong hands bad, the act basically kills dogs just because of how they look it’s awful if it’s a friendly dog it still gets destroyed how is this ok.

I’ve been attacked and bitten by the likes of Jack Russells and Yorkshire terriers where as all the Pitbull type dogs I’ve encountered have been friendly and playful. 

It’s even a statistical fact that the most likely dog to be aggressive towards its own family and strangers is a sausage dog 

(https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/news...

Again I’m not saying get rid of the law because it is there to protect people but seriously it needs looking at.

Ok so I didn’t realise that aggression is genetic due to bad breeding but now that I’ve been told that I understand that so ignore the part where I say a product of it’s environment. 

Well over a huge numbers of years, I have only been bitten in anger by 3 dogs - the first a Corgi who would get upset during thunderstorms and ran out and bit me.  The second a bloodhound who subsequently bit a customer there to pick up their dog in the Boarding Kennel where I worked and was put down.  That b itch had a screw loose and when I was in her home, would stand over me when I was sitting down, in a very aggressive way.   The third was a mongrel tied up with a puppy outside a local store - my mistake, she was clearly defending the puppy.

Should all Corgis and Bloodhounds be banned ..... hardly.   As for all Mongrels...!

I have always been one to blame the Deed, not the Breed.

The Pit Bull type ban in the UK was a knee jerk reaction by the Government at the time, after a series of bad attacks by Pit Bulls.   Very sadly this 'breed' has been picked by those wanting a fierce looking aggressive dog, and BYBs latched onto a good source of income, producing overly aggressive animals.   I happen to believe that aggression is genetic, AND also caused by how the animal is treated.

Aggression is GENETIC. Some breeds are indeed BORN THAT WAY. It isnt "all in how you train them".. Each dog breed was bred for a purpose, and that includes specific temperaments and drives

Come back when you get a clue!

Speaking of seriously, this is the chattering of a child.

For starters, it's pit bull, two words.  So much for your in depth research. What exactly are "pitbull type dogs?"  And, incidentally, I own a pit bull.  I have no fear of the breed.  You are arguing nature vs nurture, a topic that's been talked to death.

If you have been attacked and bitten by a number of Jack Russells and Yorkies, I suspect you have a problem.  I've been in rescue my entire life, and I've NEVER been bitten by ANY dog.

A "sausage dog?"

These bans are very often based on insurance statistics.  They are also based on law suits which are filed following bites and maulings.

I trust you don't volunteer at any animal rescue?

It is so naive to say that 'no dog is born evil'  and that 'dogs are a product of their environment'. 

Underneath everything is genetics and that stands for any breed.   That doesn't mean that I am for or against the law at the moment regarding the banned breeds in the UK,  however,  the government were very considerate in the early 90's when they did ban Pit Bulls as they could see what was happening in the U.S. with them.  All the did was say that no more Pit Bulls could be bred in the UK and that all would have to be neutered and therefore die out as a breed here.  They didn't round them up and have them pts as they did in some other countries.  

Unfortunately you got all the idiots who continued to breed and go underground with it and use them for exactly what the government had feared such as drug dealers dogs etc.  Since then they have been so badly bred that the temperaments are not what they should be anyway. 

It wasn't the banning of them that was the problem.  

• Amber

I don't think you quite understand the act or dogs. Some dogs, from bad breeding CAN be born aggressive and showed this aggression from very early stages. 

• Maxi

You clearly do not understand the Dangerous Dogs Act which ANY dog who is dangerously out of control/agressive can be part of not just certain breeds...and ANYONE owning a named breed was told to register the dog, it was assessed, had to be chipped, neutered, insured and muzzled while in public, it didn't have to be PTS.so the owners who failed to do so, failed to do so for a reason, because their dogs would not pass the assessment and/or they were breeding and selling them

Oh and your link is out of date/defunked

I probably needs to be amended & make stronger or start enforcing the laws that are already on the book & add stronger penalties for offenders with large fees & jail time or public service.

• Maxi

It is already a CRIMINAL offence ( not civil), it IS very strongly enforced with huge financial penaltises and prison sentences