Carson asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

How much is too much to pay for a pet?

The dog I have now I paid way too much for (over 5k, stupid I know). I was wondering if I plan on adopting from a shelter or a credible website how much should I be paying? I want a small/medium sized dog. 

any amount. people give them away for free all the time.

You should be able to adopt around $100 for shots and all from a city shelter. 5K is a lot to pay, but those dogs in the national dog shows go higher.

No more than  $10. That's all I paid for me Basset Hound puppy. Of course he came from a byb. 

That depends on the dog you adopt and how much money you have to spend.  A tea cup Maltese, for example, will set you back big time, because the moms have JUST one puppy, not a whole litter.  Rarer, hard to find dogs cost more.  If you are willing to find one that you love and are not fussy about the breed, you can probably get one from a shelter or your local Humane Society for $50. 

Yeah right you paid $5K for your dog. For WHAT?

There's no "credible websites" selling puppies. If you want a specific breed then go to AKC breeder that's in your local breed club for that breed. What you'll pay depends on the type of dog and quality of breeding.

As for shelters their fees range greatly. But they alter the animals, give them their shots, disease test them, deworm, deflea, microchip. All of that would cost you at LEAST $500 at the vet. So anything under that for an adoption fee is a deal.

Shelters are so much more cheaper than pure-bred dogs (and in my personal opinion, the dogs are so much more worth it in the long run) Not saying that pure-bred dogs are bad, but there's so many great dogs in rescue for so much cheaper.

We got our rescue dog for $75 and our rescue puppy for $300. Rescue is the way to go!

• Verulam 1

'a puppy', you may get the benefit of the time and trouble a good breeder puts into all the pups in their litters.  And often they will sell for a reasonable price, to a GOOD HOME.  I did - the home was always more important than the income.

A fraction of the cost...in all truth.

i homecheck for a local private herder rescue

Source(s): Just an ole shepherd his dogs and flock

Purebreds or specialty mixed breeds are always going to be higher. Some pay $2000, some pay what you paid, and some pay upwards of $10,000 for a pure dog.

Any shelter you go to will be, of course, significantly cheaper, but many are in the range of $200-$300 no matter the size. Pups are usually more than adult dogs. Some shelters will also have "sales" or empty shelter days where pups will be under $100; they just want them out and gone.

Rescues generally save dogs by breeds (not all, but most), so there are boxer rescues, golden rescues, etc. where you can get a purebred (though, some are mixed with other breeds, but they are predominantly the breed they rescue). For example, there's a rescue in my area called Hobo Boxer Rescue. They take on all boxers, but will take boxer/pitty mixes, boxer/hound, and so on. Greyhound rescues, for instance, are very popular, what with race tracks closing down and many dogs are retired (done racing) by 2-3 years of age, so they are handed over. These may be a bit more pricey, and I know they are VERY picky about the families they go to; the whole adoption process could take months with home and yard checks, socializing with your other animals to make sure it's a match, checking references, etc. 

I paid $350 for a mixed breed at a rescue.  He's about 80 pounds.

• *****

Shelters normally charge $300 or less, in my experience, some substantially cheaper. 

I don't know what you mean by "credible website". While reputable breeders may have a website to promote their dogs and give information on their breeding program, they DON'T have "buy now" buttons you can click and purchase a puppy. They care greatly about where their puppies go and carefully screen prospective buyers. Pricing will vary hugely by specific breed and quality and certainly can range well into the thousands in some cases.