Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsBirds · 2 months ago

Do birds live in groups?

There's a berry tree at my window and I see 5-7 medium, red-breasted birds all eating together in intervals (meal times?) throughout the day.

A flock is a gathering of a group same species animals in order to forage or travel with one another.

No. They live in flocks.

Some birds like to be in groups, some are more solitary.

Geese flock, but robins seems to be more solitary.

Chickens like being in groups, but cardinals seem to like to be more alone in life.

Some group together more than others. Some 'hang out' for a while and then go their separate ways.

• ron h

dunno about those birds but I've seen big trees full of doves.  I've seen them leave the trees in the morning to find food and return at dusk to stay for the night.  I don't think raptors or owls are "flock" birds. 

Many breeds flock together and many are of one species this is for warmth in colder weather or rain. FLOCKS can range in sizes as well and does occur in different seasons, and many are of mixed species. Many birds flock together for foods either from the trees or the bark on the tree and items that may be on the grounds. They flock together for protection as well since with many they can detect a predator faster than if there were just a few. Plus the predator has a larger target as well. Flocks are formed for aerodynamics and many are in flocks for mating season.

Probably robins. Birds can live in FLOCKS not groups. Some have large flocks, many just live as pairs.

Haven't you ever noticed the circling flocks of starlings in the evening?

• Woodrow

Hold on, I'm getting a text...

• PR

Birds flock together, and if there is a food source, they follow one another because all animals want more food.

No, and the "flock of birds" idea is a hoax.

Yes, they usually do.