Anonymous

Does volunteering look as good as paid work on applications?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

It depends on the kind of job you are looking for and also the kind of volunteering you have done.

If you are a teenager applying for your first job, or you’re a social worker who volunteered as the director for a nonprofit to benefit homeless youth, your volunteer experience could be pretty valuable.

In most professional jobs, relevant professional experience is more valued than volunteer work.  E.g. my employer would hire a nurse with 2 years of ICU experience long before they’d consider a new grad who volunteered at the local children’s hospital for 2 years.

Ideally, a strong candidate would have both paid/professional experience and volunteer work.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Absolutely!  It shows you put forth the effort, learned skills and have experience.

• 2 months ago

No. but it does county for something for sure.

• 2 months ago

Yeah, only to gain experience.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

No. Sorry. It's not the same as paid work.

• Katie
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Yes it does - all of my interviews for paid jobs have been purely on my volunteering roles.

• 2 months ago

Better.............

• Kyle
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

there are companies and organizations that do their own work with community service and encourage employees to do so.  that is also a good bullet to put on your resume especially if it's between job gaps.  you can still network, earn other responsibilities in volunteering like you can with a regular job that companies will find value in.  

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i think it does

• Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

That's because you've never had a paying job.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Worth putting down, and some potential employers will consider it as good, many will consider it but not as strong as paid work.

• 2 months ago

Probably not quite as good, but possibly.  The experience may not be as good and the hours might not be as full, but it does show a measure of caring and its better than doing nothing.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.