.
. asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

why are my friends angry that I went on a vegan diet?

Have you had the same reactions when you chose to go vegan?

I had to go vegan for health reasons, I was sick all the time and I had a bad skin condition that cleared up after cutting meat out of my diet, plus I'm lactose intolerant.

When I was a child I was allergic to animal proteins, so the doctor had me on a specialized diet until I was able to eat meat again. But now for the past 10 yrs my skin problems returned, I took myself off of animal produces and my health is being restored. 

I'm not being preachy with them but I do get offended when I'm visiting them and they hand me something I can't eat lest I get a reaction from it.

I guess what I'm say is that I'm a vegan because of medical dietary issues. 

Why should anyone care what your reasoning for eating any certain way is? It's none of their business how or why you eat what you eat--and that's your entire answer. If they give you a hard time, just smile and say "look--you eat what you want, and I'll eat what I want--and we'll get along fine!"  If they persist, find other friends to hang out with, because yours are way too judgmental. 

If you have food issues, it's nobody's business but your own. Refuse anything you can't or don't want to eat. You don't owe anyone excuses. If your friends keep pushing food on you that harms your health, seriously--they are cruel and bullying and you need to find people that don't do that. Good human beings respect other people and their ways of life. They don't deliberately try to sabotage your diet or your life. 

But---don't preach that your way is better than theirs. Just don't let them bully you into eating things you don't like or don't want. 

• Megumi

Because it is a bad diet. 

Maybe they're assuming you'll become one of those preachy pushy militant vegans. 

They think you're being self-righteous.

Ťhėrė årė truly more possible reason than 

could possibly count but my own intuition would

tell me they feel you're making a Miśťåkė !!

..............................................................

"why are my friends angry that I went on a vegan diet?"

It is possible that the negative reaction by your friends has more to do with your reaction when presented something you're not able to eat. Many times we don't realize it, but our reactions to various things are read by others. So if you react in a negative way, your friends are going to be angry at the reaction. However for some the anger is more related to your turning down what they're trying to offer. It's as though it's an affront to their home and cooking. Now were it me, there would be no issue, with you turning down a meat offering with an explanation.

I don't know if you were bitten by a tick, nor you may not even have been aware of a tick bite. However you should see an allergist and be tested for the alpha gal antigen. The reason I'm saying this, is that some medications in capsules, the capsule is made from gelatin, and the majority of the gelatin currently used, is sourced from animals. It's for that reason you should be tested, as in some cases, the reactions to animal based foods, and in some rare instances medications with gelatin encapsulation, or even simple exposure can result in a reaction, albeit that reaction is a delayed reaction. 

However while the odds are very highly against it, for an across the board allergy to all forms of animal based foods, the possibility is there none the less. Of course some will deny such a possibility as one has done. The most widely known, and best documented allergy to animal based meats, is that of fish/seafood/shellfish. More recently though (2002 and independently in 2007) what's known as the alpha gal antigen, or syndrome has been documented, regarding mammalian based foods. More rare though is a poultry/fowl allergy, although there has been cases documented of it occurring. I became aware of the alpha antigen in 2015, when another user mentioned it. Then there's the pork-cat allergy, which came more to light during research into the alpha gal antigen. There are no current treatments known to "cure" any of those allergies.

Let those who want to deny science do so. However as such, such individuals may very well end up with the I know it all attitude causing harm to someone.Now I am NOT, nor have I ever claimed to be a medical professional, dietitian, nutritionist, nor an expert or otherwise some self declared guru. Some may try to make out I am claiming such, when I'll flat out say I am not. What I know while maybe a decent amount, is no where near what those who aree true medical experts, or dietitians or nutritionists. 

What I know is a result of personal time spent reading various research papers. Which was at the beginning and remains so yet today, for my own health needs. However I WILL by my own personal oath share what little I do know, and encourage others to do their own homework. Here in closing, I'd strongly encourage some tests be done to get to whatever the issue is.

Source(s): I source my information from Mayo Clinic, the National Institute of Health, the Harvard School of Medicine and other similar reliable sources. Unreliable sources that are biased, and thereby of no value to me are PETA, Physicians for Responsible Medicine, and other sources similar to which are either backed by or otherwise endorsed by PETA. I will just equally dismiss anything showing bias towards a diet that states animal based foods are essential to human health.

There are no reasons other then being mental ill to be vegan. There have never been any proven health befits to eating vegan

There is no human that is allergic to animal proteins so keep lying. You simply were not feed a proper meat based diet and were feed super processed foods and junk food that made you sick

• Louis

It happens all the time. 

I could explain it but these articles do it much better than I can

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/28/opinion/vegan-f...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/oct/...

Because (like right now) this will be the only thing you will talk about. I mean, they have probably already found out that your a hypochondriac and are just desperately seeking attention because you lack an interesting qualities. ....I don’t know, just a thought😊

• Wendigo

Star_of Darkness your proof as a medical professional since you've stated basically that all findings to the contrary are wrong in your opinion as a medical expert. I want to see you proofs. If you say I have to look it up the  you have no proof on which you made your claim. So now bring it Dr. Star

😄

Yes.

But at that point I was sick and had no choice but to go vegetarian (would have been a vegan diet except I wouldn't give up milk).

And it's understandable as to why. Veg diets aren't healthy. 🥴 Some people can die from no animal protein. I actually know of one that did and another who was taken off this diet for the same reason.