Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsHeart Diseases · 2 months ago

If your ECG is normal , Can a heart attack still occur?

The my heart/chest hurts alot and its causing me so much pain.

I done a ECG yesterday and they said its normal

But can this be a heart attack?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • TedEx
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The Cadillac of diagnostic tools is the treadmill nuclear stress test. It is done while exercising, whereas with an EKG you are laying flat on your back.

Between the two is a echocardiogram, Has your doctor mentioned wither one to you.

Both the echocardiogram and stress test are very expensive. but can show  things an EKG cannot

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Janet
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Chest pain is not necessarily a heart attack. And my understanding is that heart attacks are shown on ECGs .. the cells affected by the heart attack die, and their non-function shows up in the ECG.

You have a doctor working with you on chest pain. Good. Keep at it until a solution is found. In fact, sometimes heartburn or gall bladder attacks can cause chest pain. It is not necessarily your heart.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The information given is not enough to say if a chest pain will be a heart attack or not. 

If an ECG is normal yesterday, there is no reason it can turn abnormal within days, even hours or mins. 

If you having chest pain -> seek medical attention immediately.

• ...Show all comments
    • Keshan
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

If you had an ECG yesterday and then had chest pain today that felt different to the first one it is still important to seek medical attention as the ECG MAY be abnormal. It also MAY NOT be abnormal but it is important to have it checked out. :) 

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Come on now, the answer is No your heart is fine.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.