Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 2 months ago

How can I get my baby to sleep through the night?!?!?!?

My 10 month old baby will NOT sleep through the night. I put him down in his crib at 1:30am and then he usually wakes up at 5 or 6am and then wakes up at 9am and then sometimes sleeps a little longer until he wakes up at around 11am. He’s been like that ever since he was a few months old. He sometimes sleeps through the night but he only does that once in a while. When he cries at 5am, I put him in bed with me because that’s the only way he’ll fall asleep again. I’m so overtired and stressed because I never get much sleep. I don’t have anyone to help me so it’s just me. How can I get him to sleep through the night? 

Why are you putting him down to sleep at 1:30am?  You should be putting him down to sleep, during the night, around 8-9 pm.  

Babies' sleep rhythms get better as they get older.  When they get onto solid food, they won't be hungry in the middle of the night.

is he your first child? babies' day cycle is shorter than adults. our daily cycle is 24 hours, for babies, their 24 hours probably feels like 8-12 hours in our cycle, so no wonder if they sleep often and get up often in our daily cycle.

• Suzy Q

If you put your baby down for the night at 1.30 AM, that means you yourself don't turn in for the night until after 1.30. No wonder you're exhausted.

Your baby's sleep rhythm actually isn't that bad. You put him down for the night, he sleeps about 4 hours, wakes once, and sleeps 3-6 hours more. That's not bad at all. The only real problem is that his night starts so late that it's already early in the morning. And I assume you yourself don't sleep in until 9-11 AM, so obviously you're getting seriously sleep deprived. 

I would try gradually shifting his whole routine to an earlier time. Maybe in 15 minute increments. Get him out of bed 15 minutes earlier (yes, wake that sleeping baby), offer meals and snacks 15 minutes earlier, take a nap (if he naps) 15 minutes earlier, and to bed for the night at 1.15. After a few days to get used to this, shift the whole day again, to end with a 1.00 AM bedtime.

Keep doing that, taking your time to let him get used to the changes, until you arrive at a more reasonable bedtime. I get that that probably doesn't mean you'll have him sleeping from 7 until 7 with a late feed at 11 any time soon, but at least try to arrive at a bedtime that's reasonable for you yourself. Say, before midnight at the latest. 

If you end up with a weird day schedule for a while by shifting the whole day, just roll with it for a while. Get the night sorted out first. Once you can reliably get baby to bed at a reasonable time, you can start shifting pieces of your day routine back to where they make sense. 

Do you also feed him when you bring him into bed?  He's well within the range to still need a nighttime feeding or two.  But medically speaking, going 8+ hours with only one waking actually *is* "sleeping through the night."  I'm also wondering why he doesn't go down for the night until 1:30 am.  That alone can be messing up his sleep patterns and day/night cues.

And it comes down to this - he goes to bed at 1:30am, wakes up about 4 hours later for a bit, goes back to sleep for another 3-5 hours.  That's some good chunks of sleep for both of you.  I don't see how that equates "never get much sleep."  

Why are you waiting until 1:30 am o put him down? That's probably part of the problem.

When he wakens at 5am then keep him up for the day and do the usual feed and bath etc and let him nap but not long and by around 9pm he will be tired and should sleep through the night - it will be hard for a few days but worth it in the long run

• Suzy Q
      1 month agoReport

You want to keep a baby awake after a night of only 4 hours, then have a grueling day of limiting naps, and you think that will make it EASIER for baby to sleep through the night?

You've obviously never had to deal with an overtired baby. 

• cool

Place him on your chest skin to skin, it is good for emotional regulation and overall health.

I just heard a discussion about that on PBS and the conclusion was that it takes two people working in shifts but they were talking about that but they did not mention your problem just sleeping through the night and your baby is except your definition of the time to wake up and his are different. You need to try to align his schedule with yours maybe try putting him to bed a little later each night until he wakes when you do.