Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Will our Rottie family pet recover?

He's a 6 years-old Rottweiler and slightly over a month, his owner (my paternal grandma whom got him as a puppy) sadly passed away in her bed. He was there besides her when it happened, the last one to see her alive.

He's withdrawn from us since, takes longer to eat or won't finish everything, continues whimpering (sounds we never heard before), isn't active anymore and sleeps more. He completely changed. That's not how he was.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Your dogs grieving for his mistress. He will need a lot of attention, exercise, play and interaction with all the family as well as other dogs that can help remind him that there are people out there

as well as other dogs to help him through his loss and that the family will help bond with him, keeping his loss at a minimum- 

It will take some time for him to get through his loss, they really never get over it but they do accept the change and they should be able to bond with the dog and he should be okay again.

This process cannot be forced nor are there any shortcuts.  Some dogs never get 100% back to their old selves but they are happy enough with their new surroundings to be happy and content.  Rarely are there dogs that don’t recover, dogs are very resilient and are able to adapt to their new homes and families.  That’s why there are so many adoptable dogs in shelters.  They have gone from their first or second families back to an adoption center and then get adopted out once more.

Your dog has been with it’s mistress that has passed.  It’s a little bit different than a family that threw their dog away because of some reason or other.  Rotti’s are also a breed that attaches themselves to their owners quite strongly.  It may take them a longer time to adapt to their new surroundings and owners, however they will adapt if enough time and effort are given, but they will need a lot of attention.  They will never bond with a family that keeps thrm outside in a kennel or running the yard and living in a dog house.  They need the day to day human contact and direction.

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • patty
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

get him out and about for walks. Take him to the local dog park to mix with other dogs. Play with him. He needs lots of love and affection

• 2 months ago

No it's suffering you need to euthanize it

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

When my husband died suddenly his Rott sort of recovered after 6 months.  When she died 2 years later she was still grieving him.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

For some dogs the loss of one of their pack is very difficult and especilly if they are their pack leader their owner or the dog who they look up to.added to this life and routine has changed as he is now living with you.

My advice is dogs live in the moment, so it is important you give him present moments to enjoy......he is eating and that is great, daily walks and somewhere different each time even if you do the same walk but the other side of the road or the opposit direction as he will come across new sights, smell, sounds which will mentally stimulate him, book a couple of dog training classes, he is a working dog and will enjoy the challenge to stimulate his brain and it will help you to bond with him/him with you.

.........and he will also reflect how you are feeling, it is a sad time for you and dogs pick up on that, so the challenge of getting him back up and enjoying his life will also help you too.

• ...Show all comments
    • Maxi
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I have no idea who clicks TD ( or TU for that matter) it is half term with lots of bored kids who have no real social skills, just online skills who think online is 'life' & it is for them

• 2 months ago

Rottie's are particularly sensitive with this and I've taken in three over the years who were with their owners when they died. 

Try to keep him busy and take him out a lot and also see a vet who could prescribe something short term.

This is a real condition that I've seen ... can also happen when they lose a dog friend as well. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.