Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

How can I get this ring ?

I really want a $1,500 ring. I haven’t formally asked my mother for it yet, however I plan on doing so, and I am wondering if there is an effective way to do this. I’m fifteen years old, a fantastic student, and my mother is extremely wealthy. If I could have a job and purchase the ring myself, I would. My mother does not want me to have a job during the school year and did not want me to even have one last summer. Is there any way to do this effectively? 

• Edna

You'll get the ring when your mother decides to give it to you, and not before. (That is - when she decides you're old enough and responsible enough to look after a $1500 ring and not lose it). 

Ask her what you have to do to get it then do it

maybe you can offer to do extra chores if she'll buy the ring for you

Your mother is wrong to prevent you from working. I had a relative who experienced the same thing, and guess what? He never held a job after that, for his entire life. This aside, go to your misguided parent and tell her you want the ring, offer to work for it, even if it means it working off through chores and favors for her, if she pays for it. Nothing is really for free, its something you need to learn now.  At minimum wage, which is about ten dollars an hour, now, where I live, you should have paid off the cost of said ring in about.............fifteen hundred hours? (Did I do the math right?) Then, you will have at least gotten a sense of the worth of said ring and the value of hard work. That's a lot of car washing, vacuuming pet and/or child care, gardening, taking out the garbage, and whatever else your mother could and should come up with. Okay, do you still want the ring? Good luck,

• vic2 months agoReport

The mother is not wrong unless her child is under 18

Yes, you ask her if she would get it for you. that's the most effective plan

I guess it depends on what she's been purchasing for you so far. 

How expensive your clothes are?

Will the ring match your overal image and fit with daily environment you're in?

Or will it stand out too much?

Remember that there people out there who kill for small things.

No matter what your personal reasonings are for this ring, double check it's quality and see if it comes with any certificates/insurance/cleaning service etc. 

Finest jewelry has always been something women can actually rely on again if they ever needed money. No, the value may not be the same in the future, so keep that in mind but perhaps you can take this approach also.

dont be fooled with material things

Don't be too obsess with material things. after having that, you will want another, then another, it's just a prize that you seek for. But that is not exactly what you need.

You can use whatever you have and live by. Work towards necessary things that is more valuable and close to your heart.

Appeal to her motherly love.

• Merry

Be upfront with your mum - but be realistic 

Eg - Mum, I've seen a ring that I really love. It's quite special & would be something I'd cherish forever. I was wondering if this might be something that you would consider for my 16th birthday? 

Show her a picture of it 

Acknowledge it's a lot of $$ and if she comments on that maybe suggest you contribute towards it  -eg Mum pay 50% for your birthday and you pay the other 50%