patty
patty asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 2 months ago

can u believe how many types of cheeses there are?

No. I stopped counting.

Charles de Gaulle who was President of France from 1959 to 1969 considered the many types of cheeses an index of the complication of society. He once remarked: "How can anyone govern a nation that has two hundred and forty-six different kinds of cheese?"

yes i can lots of cheeses

yes There are several types

• ted

There are 8 to 10 types of cheese, which can then be sub-categorized into many thousands of varieties. 

I know, right??? And I love just about every one of them.

yes..............................

• Clive

Yes. What's the point of this question?

• Petter

No, it's unbelievable.

Think of the thousands of places around the world that cheese is made.  No place has exactly the same conditions, so every one of those places will make a little different cheese.  (Plus there's new, aged, soft, hard, cow/sheep/goat milk, etc.etc.)

I read once that a famous cheese factory in France once had to move to a new building.  They used the same equipment, the same ingredients, the same technique in their new home but they couldn't get the cheese to taste the same.  Finally someone got an idea.  They went back to the old factory and scraped all the mold off the walls.  They brought this to the new place and smeared it on the walls.  And the cheese was exactly like the old place.

I have been eating 'cheddar' cheese all my life.  We make some good stuff here in the  US, like in Colby, Vermont, and Tillamook, Oregon.  But my sweetie went to the UK and brought me back a pound of REAL Cheddar Cheese, from Cheddar, England.  And OMG, it was the best cheddar I ever had!  It was incredible!