what vegetables can I eat that are not gassy?

• Judy

Lightly salted boiled carrots should be safe.  Lightly salted boiled green beans would be a 2nd choice.  Don't put any sauce or butter/margarine on your veggies.  Use extra virgin olive oil instead of butter when needed.  Keep your portion size in check.  There are products like "Beano" that if taken before a meal are suppose to eliminate gas.

• Jerry

Please consider how you're combining veggies and other foods. If you tend to get gassy, these guidelines might help.

Start your day with a fruit meal. Eat similar fruits together, like an apple and a pear is a good combination but an apple and an orange are not. Have a handful of nuts or seeds with your fruit so you don't get "rebound hunger" when the simple carbohydrates are used up. 

Don't eat fruits and veggies at the same meal. If you're going to eat fruit that day, wait at least 4 hours after you finish the last fruit before you eat the first veggie.

Eat at least one veggie meal a day, either veggies and a protein or veggies and a starch, not proteins and starches at the same meal. 

Coniferous veggies can make you gassy, most other veggies won't.

anything with fiber can cause gas if you are not accustomed to eating it.

• Joseph

Raw onions seem to cut down gas by 80% for me.

• Mj

Most any veg is less gassy than other food, with the exception of beans... which are not gassy either when cooked thoroughly. 

cooked zucchini

summer and winter squash

iceberg, butter, and romaine lettuce

cooked carrots

beets

parsnips

turnips

potatoes

sweet potatoes

okra

tomatoes

avacado

peeled seedless cumbers

• Janet

When I developed diabetes and changed my eating habits, I found that it was too much sugar and starches that made me gassy. I cut out ALL sugar foods and only ate complex carbohydrates, eating a LOT more vegetables of all kinds .. and have very little gas now.

I have no idea what your eating habits are, but I suggest you pretend you have developed diabetes and start eating a low-carb, low-sugar, no alcohol diet with LOTS of vegetables, some protein, and some complex carbs. And low-fat dairy.