Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 4 months ago

I am 21, and want to get my tubes tied coz I’m scared of pregnancy, would this be a good option?

• mayona

At an age of 21, you might be lucky to find out an OB/GYN willing to tie your tubes. Most of them assume that young girls can change their mind later. Their negative response specially is because you tell them the only reason for doing so by you is coz you are “scared of pregnancy”. Mostly, they will tell you to get a boyfriend, get some therapy, and later on you might be changing your mind and you will want kids.

So in this case, instead of getting the tubes tied, go and get an IUD and make sure your boyfriend should always use condoms. This will help until you are old enough and will be able to find a doctor who could be willing to do what you want.

• alan P

A hormonal implant inserted under the skin of the arm is very reliable at preventing pregnancy.  No need to get your tubes tied at such a young age.  There is a less than 1:1000 chance of getting pregnant during the 3 year life of an implant but about 1:200 tube tyings fail.

Just use two condoms every time

You need to speak with a councilor, you shouldn’t disabling fear at your age, it’s not rational.  Not judging, seek therapy.   

Doubt a doctor would do that. Say it with me.. "birth control" OR "abstinence"

• Pam

No, you are very young and might get married and have a change of heart. Reversing that procedure could be challenging. Stick to birth control and leave your options open. 21 is very young to be making long lasting life decisions.

nope....you are too young  and have to have had ONE child already.....get the shot.....

Yeah the totally won’t tie your tubes if your only 21 whether you want them tied or not 

This doesn't work with trolls, the tubes spontaneously regrow together within hours.

I think it's hard to find a doctor willing to tie your tubes at your age. I would maybe  consider other forms of contraception in case you get refused sterilization. I would think about it really good though.

If you can even find a doctor who will do that surgery on someone your age, then it might be. But you are mighty young to be making this kind of choice. A better option would be long term contraception, such as Norplant or an IUD. Both of these are very effective and have few if any side effects.