Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

Grass fed meat better than factory farmed?

I'm now switching to better quality meat which is properly raised and not beaten everyday. My Vegan friend says I'm not any better because the animal still dies. He thinks ethically raised animals don't make a difference if it is the same ending for animals. I still think it is better than having factory raised meat. What are you opinions on this? 

I receive my meat from a local farmer now

Grass fed means no toxins? Well, I sampled grass fed beef at Costco and it tasted gamely!

I wish I could do a taste-test to see if I can tell the difference - but at the same time them labels that say a consumable item is more legit per se always catches my eye... 

• Daisy

Why would a rancher take the time to gather his cows in from pasture, interrup their grazing, put them in a corral, then a chute to beat them daily? He sure can't walk up to them in a pasture and beat them. They could be grazing and gaining weight in the time that would take. You do know cattle are sold by the pound?

"Better" is a matter of opinion. Personally I prefer grain fed beef. Grass fed tends to be leaner. The fat specks (marbling) in higher quality grain fed beef tends to break the muscle fibers resulting in more tender beef.

Grass fed is related to what the animal eats, not herd management.

Good for you in supporting your local farmers.

• Star_of_Darkness

They don't beat the animals. That simple. Vegans love their lies 

Your friend is out of touch with reality. Grass fed humanely raised beef is not only better tasting, it’s healthier.

• FireAss2 months agoReport

If you like gamey.

I'm guessing you're from the USA? Nothing wrong  with that but you use a lot of terms that I'm either not familiar with or don't apply here in the UK. It seems stock management it quite different in the USA too. I don't know what “grass fed” really means - all cattle is grass fed either directly from the field or by being given hay. Obviously this diet is supplemented by concentrates.

To answer your question: it depends on what you mean by “better”. In my experience better-quality meat is more expensive but tastes a LOT better than the cheap “supermarket” stuff.

I wouldn't knowingly buy any animal products from somewhere that mistreated their stock or used methods I disagreed with - it's debatable whether hens laying “barn eggs” or “free range eggs” really are better off than battery hens but I don't like the idea of battery hens so only ever buy so-called “free range” eggs.

Well yes, the animal has to be killed before it can be turned into meat - that's how these things work. Someone who thinks this is wrong presumably wouldn't eat meat at all, and, if we'd all followed suit, these animals would never have existed in the first place. 

Meat isn't produced for the benefit of the animals used for meat. Nor is it produced because of any benefit on the environment. It's produced because people (quite reasonably as omnivores) want to eat it.

If you know that by buying from a local farmer who looks after their stock well and produces better quality meat than you were buying before than I would say that is “better”.

The only caveat I'd give though (and I don't know if this applies in the USA) but in the UK there are plenty of farmers selling, via farmers' markets of farm shops, meat that is NOT from that actual farm.

I challenge your friend to find a cow whose life won't end.  

At least the ones whose deaths lead to them being used for food serve a purpose.

• Anton

Cows had bred to be food.  They are bred to be stupid and happy with their lot is life.  They get free food, free housing, free medical, no work -- many human beings wish they have it that good.

" That's our lot in life. It's not a lot, but it's our life. " -- A Bug's Life.

Lots of factors could muddle things. Are they being fed hay in a factory? That is grass fed. Do they have great lives running through fields, but are tortured at the end? I would say that certain meat production practices are better than others for sure, but I worry it may not be that simplistic.

"Grass fed" is not a term that is clearly defined.   It certainly isn't synonymous with "not factory farmed". 

It's up to you to determine which criteria make something "better" than something else.    Not everyone has the same criteria for "better".

You have internet access so access to tons of information.    I'm quite certain you are capable of thinking for yourself rather than trying to start something here.

Your friend is a twatt. Everyone knows that 100% Grass-fed pasturaised meat is the most optimal meat you can ever eat nutritionally and ethically. I also have a local farm where I get my meat the farmer is brilliant. Guilt free knowing that my animals didn't suffer in pain 😁 eat your meat folks. Support your local farmer🐂 🐄🧀🥛🥩🐖🐑🦆🐓🐔🍳🐟🦞🐠