How does a heart attack kill?
- 2 months ago
Heart attack is when one (or more) of the arteries supplying blood to the heart muscle itself become blocked or narrowed to a point where the heart isnt receiving enough blood. The heart is a muscular pump, like any muscle it needs a blood supply to live. Cardiac muscle is particularly sensitive to having its blood supply stopped, so quickly begins to die.
There are a few ways the heart attack actually kills you.
1. Large blockages that cut blood to large areas of heart muscle. The muscle will die and then possibly rupture, meaning the heart will not be able to pump blood and you die.
2. Blockages that exist for a prolonged time. Heart muscle will die, become fibrotic and then that part of the heart will not pump as normal. If the damage is widespread enough there wont be enough functional heart left and even if the blood supply is repaired the heart wont function well enough to keep you alive.
3. Blockages that kill areas that affect your heart rhythm. Your heart basically has two types of cells. Muscle cells that do the pumping and Electrical cells that cause your heart beat to be coordinated. If you kill off enough electrical cells, or kill cells in the wrong spots your heart may not be able to beat efficiently or you may go into dangerous rhythms that then cause the heart to fail or beat in a way where its not effectively pumping enough blood.Source(s): Work in Cardiology
- k wLv 72 months ago
funny how nobody mentioned the importance of nutrition........just like the quacks.....
- Max HooplaLv 72 months ago
It makes your heart stop beating.
- ㅤLv 42 months ago
Simple answer - something blocks the blood vessels from supplying blood
Your Heart stop pumping
You Heart stop getting oxygen
& your RIP
- What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
- Anonymous2 months ago
By a blockage in an artery(ies) supplying the blood to the heart muscle making it impossible to pump blood around the body. Depending on how complete the blockage may be, the heart muscle gets starved of oxygen and it effectively dies.
- Anonymous2 months ago
the heart is made out of muscle. it pumps blood by contracting this muscle. the muscle requires it's own constant blood supply. if the blood vessels supplying the muscle get clogged, the muscle is immediately affected, and whatever part is starved for blood will die pretty quickly if the situation isn't resolved. depending on bad the situation is, the whole heart can stop pumping blood altogether, after which you're going to die pretty quick
- pattyLv 62 months ago
if a heart is not working blood can't be pumped around the body to different organs with oxygen etc