Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 4 months ago

would the trainer at a mma gym be offended if you told them you only wanted to do the striking part because you were uncomfortable grappling?

I want to go to an mma gym but just for the stand up with kicks and punches I don't want to do grappling because its too much touching and I am not comfortable with that much touching 

Alex just because you have no life and can't answer a legitimate question properly and feel like being a douchebag to strangers doesn't mean you get to project your perversions on to me. Maybe you secretly like other men rubbing up against you doesn't mean I do get that *** banned *****.

Take up boxing or kickboxing if you don't want to grapple.

At the gym i used to go too i had a boxing class and a kickboxing class but never took bjj. Thwt said tho if you only want to learn stand up you could go a kickboxing or boxing gym thats not mma

First, no they wouldn't be offended exactly, they might question your motivations.  Ultimately they'll be glad to have your money.  If you have options I would recommend Muay Thai or Kickboxing instead.  This is due to they won't even breach the subject of grappling beyond the clinch.  MMA gym may have to tailor their lesson plans.

Talk to the MMA gym first, see how they operate.  They may have striking only classes, then you're in like Flynn.

• Bon

He may not be offended, but he would think you strange that of all the martial arts available that teaches just striking, you deliberately choose MMA where grappling is an

integral part and do not want to grapple. I think you need to spend some time examining your real reason for wanting to take MMA.

My husband owns an MMA school, we have some people who just want to do striking classes and some who just want to do grappling. And that's ok. (and we have guys who are training for Kickboxing fights, MMA bouts, and Grappling tournaments) See how the class schedule is set up. Find a gym that does them separately if possible and only go to what you like.

Maybe you have feelings that you're uncomfortable with and maybe the way you feel is telling you something. I've been practicing BJJ for over a decade and I can tell you that there are only two reasons for your feeling that way. One is that you're weak and meek, and therefore you will be dominated on the mats. The latter one is that your feelings come from a much more personal place where you're not secure about your sexuality.

• Steel

If the trainer were to be offended, it would be completely justified. Regardless of the dicipline or aspects therein, you can't cherry-pick what you want and don't want to learn. To request that of a teacher is insulting.

Martial arts isn't Burger King; you can't have it your way. 

• Lv 4

good answer; the classes would consist of what they would consist of

1) There's plenty of martial arts (including boxing) that teach only striking. 

2) Probably the stuff you don't want to do is the stuff you need to do. 

Now there's a toughie. I mean if you wanna learn mma, it definetly involves grappling. It's a bit contradictory. Maybe you should do taekwondo, hardly any grappling last time I checked.

• Lv 4

good point; the sport of MMA is very specialised