Andrew asked in SportsMartial Arts · 2 months ago

For self-defense, are traditional arts better or MMA?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

I dont even know wtf ppl consider traditional martial arts. Wrestling is the worlds oldest martial art and sport. Muay thai has alot of fcking tradition as does sumo but lets assume you mean tkd , kung fu and karate. Im a tkd guy and ive trained mma and i can tell you these tma have major holes in boxing and grappling and both can be crucial in self defense.

• Megumi
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Traditional Martial Arts are much better than a sport that has rules and recesses between rounds. You must find the right ones and good teachers for either, of course. There are many worthless McDojos. 

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 2 months ago

Quick answer, MMA is going to teach you the basics of movement, striking, grappling.  The traditional arts that I've experienced focus a lot on stationary striking/blocking and opponents, taking a long time to get to the nitty gritty, an MMA gym jumps right in.  Again, just my experience, I'm sure there are exceptions out there.  So, MMA to start.  I am aware that two fighters squaring off in the ring is not a street fight, that's absolutely correct.  But the basics of MMA are what beginners are looking for, how to bring the pain and how to defend the pain.  

Krav Maga is also good, bring on the Krav haters.  You don't have to ask anyone if they hate Krav Maga, they'll be sure to let you know.  The landscape has become lousy with bad Krav Maga teachers out there, it's become ubiquitous for Self Defense (because it is).  .  Krav Maga teaches aggression, fast and furious.  You'll learn some effective defenses (not all are good), and effective strikes.  People get hung up on knife/gun disarms (duh, give them your wallet and live, or they want to kill you anyway and good luck with that).

Now, you've learned some basics of being able to fight.  Have you sparred yet?  You NEED to know what it's like being the target of incoming fists, you will suck, but that's why we practice.  Once you can defend yourself, you can start to seek what you want as far as the "art" goes.  If slugging it out MMA style is what you want, you can learn a lot and be a good fighter from it.  Learn some freestyle wrestling, BJJ, and Muay Thai, Boxing, or Sambo.  Any of that is easily applicable to the ring.  Know this, MMA ring fighting is NOT street fighting.  Similar and effective in maaany aspects, but lacking in certain aspects like multiple opponents, weapons, environmental obstrutions (barstool, table, car, or even a dang curb).  Sounds dumb, sure, but if you don't practice it, you're not as good as you think when it applies.

The key to all of this is a good teacher.  Unfortunately, you have to sign up before you realize the teacher is good or not.  Lots of bouncers learn some Aikido because their opponents are generally drunk dudes with no balance, Aikido can be good in the right situation. 

Source(s): Objectively focused, currently training.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Im not even joking WWE. The moves actually work lol.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

You might say there is no MMA without martial arts training of some nature.I think most all will agree that Martial arts is the foundation to any MMA. Even the MMA acronym dictates such.Mixed ..... MARTIAL ARTS.

It could refer too.....(1) a single person with a high degree of skill in a combination of martial arts

or(2) a competition between two opponents, each having different disciplines in a single martial arts.or

(3) someone taking all the techniques, eliminating the Art, and focusing on the aggressive necessities.

Thus for self defense #3 would be my answer in one realm of reality. No MMA so to speak, NO Martial arts... Go down to the police station or military and sign up for a "SELF-DEFENSE" course.

What most all fail to realize after watching some TV show MMA event... No matter the discipline...... most all teach you the same things....how to Block, punch, kick, and grapple, joint locks, etc.... according to your level of training and their specialty. Your degree of ability, aggressiveness, and mindset is a different story.BUT NONE will grantee you will walk away from a confrontation of attack unharmed or even alive, even if you make Grand Master Status.

In such. the Best Self Defense course I can recommend is Mr. Mieaggie first course!

"Best (self) Defense? No Be There"

That works on two levels by the way.Go buy or rent the Karate Kid 1,2, 3  and watch them. (lol)MMA, Martial arts, Gun, Knife, brick, stick, chain, Gang attacks.... take your pick! No one disipline or many will make you bullet proof or immortal. In a real situation, both are going to get hurt if both chose to fight. I choose not to, but ready if I do have too.

Self--Defense

Self - one self

Defense- to evade and or prevent injury and protect ones self

but if you must.....

Offense-Attack- aggressive behavior with an intent to cause some degree of harm to another while defending ones self from bodily harm.

• 2 months ago

For self-defense, having the sense to get the hell away from a dangerous situation is best.

Outside of that, what tends to work best is a mixture of grappling and boxing.  Traditional martial arts are fantastic, but let's be very blunt in saying that being able to drop into a split or do some crazy spinning kick is never going to aid you if you're attacked on the street.

I also want to comment on what Kid Mohawk said. Xu Xiaodong intentionally targets those who think their martial arts give them some mystical abilities, or those who refuse to continue to adapt Chinese arts out of some belief that Chinese arts have reached perfection.  Basically this is a case of a nation having its head stuck up its own butt and refusing to accept the outside world's advice.

• This is wrong too you mean to tell me if anthony pettis gets in a street fight his tdk kicks wont be effective? Only in mma does it work?

• Bon
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Neither and both. It is not the martial art that determines whether you are properly trained for self-defense. It is the instructor.

• 2 months ago

Traditional arts but shop the school and instructor if you are looking for self-defense more. Some schools and instructors have really good programs in that area while others don't focus so much on that type of training as much or as well. That is also why I hesitate to recommend MMA because most of those types of places don't teach you much in the way of self-defense at all but instead fighting aspects where you have rules, referee, a rest period between rounds, and maybe a next round even.

I equate MMA and traditional martial arts to cars and trucks. Both are vehicles but each is different in other ways and better suited for some things while the other might not be. A school with a good self defense program will teach awareness and avoidance; that's really your first line of defense. Beyond that they will teach you the simple, dirty aspects of how to physically hurt someone and to more easily dominate them physically at least temporarily also. The presence of law enforcement officers or corrections officers in the program or class is a good indication that the training is of a good quality. So do some checking and visit any school at least twice at different times on different days to watch classes.

• mokrie
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

A gun is the best option.

• 2 months ago

This isn't even a competition, as we've seen MMA fighters routinely destroy traditionalists.  Hell, just Google up Xu Xiaodong.  The dude absolutely wrecked so many revered Chinese practitioners of traditional arts that the nation of China all but labeled him a traitor for showing how weak their multi-thousand year old arts are.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.