Banana
Lv 5
Banana asked in PetsBirds · 8 months ago

Can a single chicken tolerate the cold alone ?

So i only have 1 chicken right now and I'm worried she will freeze overnight.  I put a ton of straw in for her to lay in and has a fully enclosed coop and run area against our house. It's going to be down to 16 tonight. 

Should I bring her inside 

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 months ago
    Favourite answer

A lot depends on the breed. Some, from southern Europe or Asia can't handle those temperatures. Other breeds, developed in colder areas, can, although they won't be happy about it. Chickens do have down jackets and hunker down to keep their feet warm. If there are any draughts in the henhouse, the problem is far worse than in one well-sealed except where ventilation is needed to keep moisture from building up (another factor in cold tolerance). Yet another factor is manure buildup. Many people load the floor of the henhouse with litter in the fall and don't shovel it out until spring. The manure composts all winter, producing heat. In other words, the answer to your question is a definite maybe.

• 8 months ago

Absolutely. And you need to get a few more chickens. They are flock birds. Get at least six. Otherwise, you are being cruel. Also, the coop needs a light for warmth. Get some help in setting it up. It should not be too close to the chickens or it will burn them.

Source(s): Had a coop with two lights for winter overnights, and covered the coop overnight too.
  • 8 months ago

yes some place warmer than the coop she has no other birds to roost with or sit close to, to share the feathers they all have she will get too cold and could get sick her crown could get frozen that's painful .

• 8 months ago

I once followed a truck loaded with chickens for many miles. It was really cold and at highway speeds, the wind chill musta been really cold. Some birds were not moving any more. 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    8 months ago

maybe you should bring her inside if youre not sure

• Anonymous
    8 months ago

Would I bring her inside?  Yes.

I'm amazed that someone with your qualifications can't figure this out:  " I have a bachelors in science of education with a concentration in social studies. I'm a published author with a large range of information that may or may not be useful"

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.