Why don't skydivers wear helmets or seatbelts?

There is no provision for helmets, USPA highly recommends head protection an even the soft padded hats are acceptable.

Our jump plane was a gutted out Cessna 182, no belts. In flight door.

Jumped many different planes, no recall of belts, just sit where you fit.

The spotter usually has the door

FAA requires pilots to have chutes and wear belts.

Look at some skydiving videos, you see how they are decked out.

Done a lot of jumps in blue jeans T-shirt sneakers and just cheap goggles and parachute.

helmet wont help when when you ******* crash into earth

LOL.

True story.  I was stationed at the US Coast Guard base in the North End of Boston in the early 80's.  One day, out of the blue, they decided nobody would come on base unless they were wearing a seat belt.  I am standing by an open window when the gate guard stops a man on a motorcycle.  He's like the most senior warrant officer in the whole Coast Guard.  Gate guards tells him, "I can't let you on without wearing a seat belt".  He puts out the kick stand, takes off his helmet, and says, "Are you the most stupidest person in the world??  Have you ever seen a seat belt on a motorcycle??"  The big guard stood his ground - "I got orders not to let anyone on unless they have a seatbelt on" Oh man, the two of them went at it for 10 minutes before someone the guard would believe told him it was ok.  All day long that warrant officer was bent out of shape!!  I wish I had video of that confrontation.

Some people that go skydiving do wear helmets and they wear a skydiving harness I don't know what you would want with a seatbelt when you're falling from the sky.

• Mj

It would be pointless to survive impact.

• Joe

Skydivers do wear helmets.

Seatbelts, while riding the jump ship... I would think that the risk of entanglement with the skydivers' harness would be too great.  An accidental tug on a reserve rip cord could be catastrophic for the whole ship.

Seriously, neither offer too much protectection if if the main and reserve chutes fail.