in a 2006 bmw 330i when you get a new battery do you have to reprogram it after it is installed?

Many times, YES!

• not

Yes, I believe so. As I recall 2006 was the first year that model required the battery registered/programed. 2008 and up all BMW models require this. 

When I bought a new battery for my car, they plugged a device into the obd2 receptacle, which kept power on it while the battery was replaced.

not if your smart ..you use a jump starter kit ..connect the leads together before you disconnect leads from battery ..this way you have continuous current...on my beemer you can connect a lead to a nut on the engine ..the other to earth ..and then disconnect the  battery ..in the boot ..

I believe the car holds a back up charge to hold the programs for a while.  Long enough for a battery change

Probably. sure love the BS European cars need now!