John asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 1 month ago

If solar and wind are so good for us then why is less then one percent of the worlds energy produced by solar and wind?

16 Answers

Relevance
  • Prince
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

The Plutocrats who RULE and use us as cannon fodder, as literal human sacrifices to Their evil and Their greed, make HUGE profits, I mean BILLIONS off of oil, and engineering the accompanying wars making BILLIONS more in Munitions manufacture and sales. You want to stop using fossil fuels and switch to free things that do not spoil the environment, you have to get rid of Them. Like Katherine Hepburn said in the 1969 movie "The Madwoman of Chaillot", you have to get RID of Them.

"If They're greedy, They're lost. If They're greedy, They're stupid. I know JUST what to do." --The Countess of Chaillot

• Fred
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Because they are not reliable. Winds can calm down and the sun only shines in the daytime. This means for their cost of construction they can be expensive as you always need a back up power system. These forms of electrical production have to be backed up by some other fuel that can run the electrical generators when the days are calm or at night. A coal power station is still some of the cheapest power you can make but of course they are also polluting so the gain of solar and wind power is they do not put polluting gases into the environment. I heard one state in my country achieved about 85% of its power on one perfect day back last year on solar and wind power, but likely the real daily figure is more likely 50% on most days and the rest had to be supplied by a gas fired power station. The fact is though that using wind and solar even if they do not reliably supply all the power still means that polluting gases from power stations can be cut back a lot as you do not need to burn as much fossil fuel all the time.

Solar and wind are not the perfect answer to our power needs.

• zipper
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

It is kind of a new move in that direction, they are also learning that all the solar panels cause air temps in that general area to rise, Plus people that have solar panels on the roof now know that the firer insurance is higher, the firer department can not use water to put out a fire on a house covered with panels, they can not be turned off. SURPRISE< SURPRISE!

• 4 weeks ago

Because more then 1% is?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

solar power is excellent look at the plants every day that benefit from it but the oil companies won't benefit from it or the electric company, corporations have so much power that they've actually started Banning solar power in places like Florida, the excuse that use is that it's a danger to the electrician that works on the power grid

• Cowboy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Our corporate overlords have deemed renewable energy to be less profitable....so they're going the other way. Which way will you go? Do you even have a choice?

• 1 month ago

Both the wind speed and solar insolation are unreliable. Solar suffers for constraint of land area available for installion and solar insolation is poor in regions near poles and above tropics with nation like Norway having 24 hours night in winter. Tropical and equatorial regions have thick tall forests that prevent sunlight from getting exposed to the land and also cloud cover.

Solar is an option for hot desert climates but population is scarce in hot deserts. Solar panels have to be installed over water bodies like lakes, rivers, canals, pools, oceans to reduce the evaporative loss of water during the hot summers and reduce the severity of water shortage during summer. Cost of concentrated solar power units that use latent heat storage fluid to provide energy in absence of sun still have high capital costs.

Wind energy has to be captured at high altitudes where the high wind speeds allow that. but high altitude wind farming is capitally expensive.

• 1 month ago

cause thats the way god made it

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I suspect that it's more than that. A clothesline is a use of solar energy and a sailboat uses wind power. As far as production of electricity goes, though, the technology is still relatively new.

• Brian
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Really? You're going on record as being THAT dumb?

• Brian
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

What name did I call you? You're just adding to your "resume".

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.