Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 8 months ago

SSI Payee Question?

What's the process after changing a payee?

• Judith

I don't understand what it is you want to know. When a person has been appointed the payee of a beneficiary, the payee will receive the benefits and is supposed to pay the bills directly; giving the beneficiary a small amount for things like cigarettes and whatnot. The payee is not accountable to the beneficiary as to how they spend the money; they must file an annual accounting with social security. As long as the rent, utilities and other important bills are paid; e.g. groceries, medical care and clothing as needed then the payee is doing the job they are supposed to do.

If the payee and beneficiary live together then the payee can charge room and board. How the payee spends the room and board is up to the payee because it is now the payee's income - just like when I pay rent to my LL - what he does with my rent money is none of my concern. The beneficiary's needs are being met because they have a place to live, the use of utilities and food. That is what it is all about - the beneficiary's basic needs being met.

If you mean something else, please be more specific and I will try to answer you.

Source(s): I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.